NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[Picture fixed] Celica Projectors with HID's don't need to suck, check it out

I purchased a headlight from a rolled (and drowned) 7th gen a month or so back, cleaned it up and pulled the projector out to see what a bit of tinkering would achieve (stock halogen projector, RHD, ECE cutoff).

After a couple of weeks’ worth of spending an hour here and there in my living room - with an old power supply (my wife really loves the mess) providing me with the 12V - I cut the stock shield out of the front half and was able to go through quite a few shield design iterations until (eventually) I was happy with the final designs output and shield mounting repeatability.

NOTE: Quicksteel/JB weld deserves mad props for being, well, awesome at everything...

I am quite impressed with the outcome, as it is significantly better than what the image below - or any of the images I was able to take - suggest, and either on par or slightly better than most setups on the road. ie. the output is better than some stock HID setups out there, obviously excluding the likes of the S2K, RX, FX, TSX w/CL-CS, etc. Though I am surprised at how poor the light output from likes of new Mercs and BM's are; to be fair though, if you were to modify these proper HID projectors with the right lens/spacing/shield mods they would perform far better than from the factory (oh the limitations of and constraints imposed upon you for being a multinational car manufacturer).

The shot below was taken corner to corner through my living room into the main bedroom of our apartment. I picked this picture because it is against a white wall with a matte finish, this is why it doesn’t show the width. But never mind that, the Celica’s projector has plenty of width, even if it is a little dim, and with my shield it is sharp all the way.
The shot was taken with the projector at just under 10 meters from the wall; just enough distance to form the image correctly.

While outside testing, I observed that the projected image is sharp at any distance. Actually, the further down the street I pointed it the sharper the image became, since the converging images from the very top and very bottom of the lens run mostly parallel. Only chromatic dispersion caused the image to overly converge, but only in the violet/blue range, which as it turns out, isn't so bad...

Please excuse the utterly horrible quality and out of focus picture; it will have to do for now; my phones camera is truly crap-tastic and doesn't portray how sharp the cutoff really is.
I’m hoping to have some time off Friday week and I'll modify the projectors that are actually on the car and take some photos during the process. I'm looking to get a DSLR in the next little while also and with that I'll take some better shots for you.

So, HID's + custom shield + a little bulb modification (stand back a meter or two from your monitor, it looks heaps better... lol) =

The bulb modification mentioned was so that the hotspot is slightly lowered. This straightens the “arms” of the beam and increases intensity below the cut-off through the width.
With stock alignment, 3/4 of the hotspot (even with standard H7 halogens globes) is blocked, which is far too much. By offsetting the hotspot slightly to the higher side of the cut-off, I was able to reveal more light at the highest point (where it counts, but you can't really tell from my picture) and increase the amount of light through the width. This also increased the sharpness but all without increasing foreground lighting (in fact, the foreground is slightly reduced as the shield must sit slightly higher, which in affect 'thins' the image, yet as a consequence of my bulb modifications this still causes less total light to be blocked, but rather, some of the foreground light is redistributed/refocussed slightly forward – all good things).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh I almost forgot, just to make it slightly more impressive...

The bulb and ballast I'm using to test these mods is an AEM 6000k kit, which is over 6 years old!! They are very near the end of their lifespan, with over half the salts perminately yellow cake (when new, red/brown, big difference).

If anyone cares I'm happy to provide more details on what I've done to improve things.
It is surprisingly easy...

·
B A N K A I
1,303 Posts
A DYI guide with pics is in order ;D

·
Bazinga.
3,255 Posts
not seeing the pic :shrugs:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It should be fixed now...
My apologies, I had thought the HIDplanet forums had public attachments, as it turns out, they didn't...

·
Registered
267 Posts
I want to do this, but to some aftermarket headlights... Still some more pics of the DIY process would be a great additin. Props for DIY!!!

·
VTEC just kicked in yo!!!
3,676 Posts
Wow, so that means we can get a purple/blue cutoff with the stock halogen projectors with just a little modification or is that just for the light output?

·
Instagram @ Aguilarg93
1,246 Posts

not the best pic but to me my 00 low beams with HIDs look pretty good. i cant imagine how perfect the OEM HIDs must be.

·
Bazinga.
3,255 Posts
those are pretty sharp

·
Instagram @ Aguilarg93
1,246 Posts
wonder what modification lawsy did. :shrugs:his modification did make his cut off blueish/purpleish

i just slapped some HIDs on mine and they came out sharp. no mods on mine :gap:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts