NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Right hand drive celica bought it from japan shipped it to jamaica, thought it was the 2000+ celica GTS only to find out that it is called the SS2 not GTS. I am discovering a few things, the engine and internals seem to be the same, the body is identical but the front end parts differ and the horsepower is much higher than the american version celica GTS.

Do you guys have any more info on the SS2?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,692 Posts
The SS2 uses a Super Strut suspension. The SUper Strut suspension is superior to a standard MacPhearson Strut suspension because it has a far more aggresive camber curve. It increases caster drastically as you you turn the wheel. This leads to less understeer and better turn in.

The SS2 should also have digital climate control, power folding mirrors (I think), optional LSD on some cars, The tuning and emissions system is a little different.

That is about all I can think of, but I'm pretty sure there are a few more small differences.

PS could you check and see if the Super strut arms and knuckles and strut would fit a normal GT-S? It would be a fun mod for some of us in the US stuck with the Mac. Strut setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The SS2 also has more power and torque , what contributes to these diferences? is it the ECU? engine design? compression ratio?
 

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
Joined
·
28,865 Posts
There are two versions of the SSII: the one that's the same as our GT-S, and one that has the Super Strut suspension like 00 scrub said. The power is different mainly due to emissions and their different power ratings. Their 190hp = our 187hp, and many people have said our cars are underrated, since we lose so little power to the wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
Originally posted by 00 scrub
The SS2 uses a Super Strut suspension. The SUper Strut suspension is superior to a standard MacPhearson Strut suspension because it has a far more aggresive camber curve. It increases caster drastically as you you turn the wheel. This leads to less understeer and better turn in.

The SS2 should also have digital climate control, power folding mirrors (I think), optional LSD on some cars, The tuning and emissions system is a little different.
:werd:

Things that the SS-II has that the GTS doesn't in a nut shell:
-digital climate controls
-right hand drive
-powered folding mirrors
-super strut suspesion *optional*
-LCD nav. screen *optional*
-SS-II has app. 190hp

The SS-II also tends to come with some fancy looking head units (radios) developed by Sony for Toyota.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,100 Posts
Originally posted by Predator
The SS-II also tends to come with some fancy looking head units (radios) developed by Sony for Toyota.
We have those on ours :cool: Newer models have Panasonic because of the F1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,908 Posts
Blue Bomber said:
There are two versions of the SSII: the one that's the same as our GT-S, and one that has the Super Strut suspension like 00 scrub said. The power is different mainly due to emissions and their different power ratings. Their 190hp = our 187hp, and many people have said our cars are underrated, since we lose so little power to the wheels.
No, you are wrong. The SS-II only comes with the Super Strut suspension. It is a trim level. They have the GT-S equivelent but it is not called the SS-II.
 

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
Joined
·
28,865 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,692 Posts
I'm guessing that the two suspensions would be interchangble then.

Predator a while back you said your friend tried to swap out the front suspensions, and you said it didn't work. What exactly didn't work/fit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so guys ...I need a CV joint for the front LHS wheel, but my mechanic keeps insisting that the CV joint for the SS2 japanese is diferent than the american GTS. They have absolutely none in stock in jamaica. what do i do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
ringthree said:
No, you are wrong. The SS-II only comes with the Super Strut suspension. It is a trim level. They have the GT-S equivelent but it is not called the SS-II.
No your wrong....superstrut on the SS-2 is optional, how do i know? because i have a superstrut ss-2 and i know a couple other ss-2's which have mcpearson strut. If you said that all superstrut ss-2's come with a factory LSD then you would be correct!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
896 Posts
all I know is in gran turismo a-spec the celica ss-II is slow as fawk. Even with all bolt on engine mods it can't beat the rsx-s. Granted the rsx-s was just concept at the time, it still pisses me off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
Originally posted by 00 scrub
I'm guessing that the two suspensions would be interchangble then.

Predator a while back you said your friend tried to swap out the front suspensions, and you said it didn't work. What exactly didn't work/fit?
he actually tried to install the JDM SS-II super strut suspension on a US Spec GTS. I have no clue what went wrong or what couldn't fit, i wasnt there when they tried the install, but i do know he ended up sending everything back.

he also tried to install the digital climate controls and ended up having to send that back as well.

he was trying to do a complete JDM conversion and ended up wasting a lot of time and money.

Originally posted by ringthree
No, you are wrong. The SS-II only comes with the Super Strut suspension. It is a trim level. They have the GT-S equivelent but it is not called the SS-II.
the super strut suspension is optional on the SS-II, no question about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by Zensoku
all I know is in gran turismo a-spec the celica ss-II is slow as fawk. Even with all bolt on engine mods it can't beat the rsx-s. Granted the rsx-s was just concept at the time, it still pisses me off.
:chuckles:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,692 Posts
Yea I'm trying to figure what exactly couldn't fit. If it was something small I could machine it up. It sounds like the axle may be different (this means big $). The subframes look to be the same as the inboard mounting points for the LC links are the same as the gts.
 

·
Just call me GnG
Joined
·
3,750 Posts
Zensoku said:
all I know is in gran turismo a-spec the celica ss-II is slow as fawk. Even with all bolt on engine mods it can't beat the rsx-s. Granted the rsx-s was just concept at the time, it still pisses me off.
O geez... its just a game, however, the next Gran Turismo is so realistic that it can be used to tune car in reality (from what i hear). Dunno about you though, i thought the SS-II was pretty fast in the 'power to weight ratio' class.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top