NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaving Sunday for the Solo Nationals. I've set up a facebook page, which you can see here:

https://www.facebook.com/DIYRacing

G-Stock competes 1st heat on Monday morning, which should be about 9am Central time.

You can follow results here:

http://www.scca.com/events/index.cfm?eid=5489

There's usually a link for live results, and an audio feed of the announcer.

Andy Thomas and Mike Moran will have the only other Celica.

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
I need to start looking into this stuff with my car in my area

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congratulations to Mike Moran, the 2013 G-Stock National Champion! Mike beat a hard-charging Focus ST by a whopping .004 seconds to take the win. The focus has only 112 MORE HP, and tons more torque. No big deal.

Andy Thomas picked up the third place spot, and Stephen Hui (who was originally registered in RTF) got the final 6th place trophy.

Me? I didn't do so well. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that preparation is key. I was not prepared this year, and Mike and Andy were very well prepared indeed.

Results are here - Look in the Tuesday West file.

http://www.scca.com/events/results.cfm?eid=5489

·
Registered
19 Posts
My pretty terrible Day 2 / East Course video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHjogWq4qCU.

Bill, Mike, Andy, I'd love to get pointers on where (other than the enormous and obvious screwup around 0:35) I was losing time. From watching you guys out on course, I think a big one is that I'm not pitching and catching the car on corner entry like they are.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
How'd I miss this thread??? Congrats to all and good effort Bill!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stephen,

Congrats on the trophy spot! You did a great job.

I watched the video once, but I'll need to look at it some more to see if there's any advice I can offer. This is the first time I've seen in-car footage of a GTS on the same course that I was running, so it's interesting.

Hopefully Andy will post his videos. That's where you should learn some things. He and Mike were really pushing that car hard.

As far as "what went wrong?" - I was unprepared this year. I didn't have near enough seat time in the car, and missed two critical warm-up events that might have helped. This was generally not a great year at all for me, I had a lot of "real life" getting in the way of my competition. It happens. I still had a good time, and even became a member of Team Ziptie. I'm looking forward to getting my stickers, since other than some very fun team meetings, that's really the only thing the team has.

All the guys in G-Stock are great, but in particular, I'd like to shout out to Andy and Mike. Two genuinely nice, fun-loving guys. Who also happen to be totally kick-ass drivers. It's a nice combination.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Woah ! That looks like fun ....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks Bill. It was nice to meet you. Bummer that you didn't do as well as you'd hoped this year, but I'm sure you'll be back with a vengeance next year. :)

I'd also be interested in any GT vs. GT-S observations you might have from watching my video; I'll definitely be scanning yours, Mike's, and Andy's if / when any of them are posted for car insights as well as driving ones. I'm familiar with all of the arguments for why the GT is faster, but my working theory is that the GT-S is the better platform now that rear sway bar can be changed, thus allowing the GT-S to put power down. Comparing our videos may help corroborate or refute that.

StrikerFury, yeah, I live in Bellevue. You actually responded to my only thread ever on NewCelica.org, which was on the Northwest forum while I was looking for a car. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Stephen,

Could it be partly due to gearing? IIRC the GT-S has a shorter gearing, and you were on the limiter for a bit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Stephen,

Could it be partly due to gearing? IIRC the GT-S has a shorter gearing, and you were on the limiter for a bit.
I got beat because I got outdriven -- no two ways about it. :) If anything, I'd say the GT-S's gearing was perfect for the East Course. If you watch my video, I just touch it for a bit at the end of a long straight section, which means I was accelerating through the meat of the powerband in the middle of said straight.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was certainly on the limiter a lot more than you were, Stephen. As were Andy and Mike. If you load up the course map, I can point out some differences:

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/2013 Nationals Courses Flipped EAST ONLY.pdf

I was on the limiter between cones 200 and 211. Again between 227 and 301. Probably touched it again around 323. Shifted to 3rd at 405. Can't recall if I got any at 502-503, but it would have been close. I was all over the limiter at 534-602. And almost touched it again at the lights.

I don't know if this is different gearing, or different driving. I'd love to do a direct comparison sometime. On a course like East, then you might really have the advantage. Of course the Focus ST will be killing us all on power courses. I wish my car launched like yours does.

Here's a link to an external camera on my car for my third run. I totally hosed the run back at Die Another Day, and even worse at the left turn before the Shaken Not Stirred slalom. But It was at least decent most everywhere else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar46yARmc0M&feature=c4-overview&list=UU9EvihFVAhSBZByTtoxqNkw

I have video from over the left shoulder of my 2nd run, which was faster than this run. I'll see if I can post it. In that video, you can clearly hear when I'm on the limiter. You can also hear me swearing like mad when I blow run 3. :)

I certainly don't think it's set in stone that the GT or GTS is best for autocross. Most of the talk of the two cars has been just that... talk.

I'll have new front shocks for next year, which I'm hoping will better control the front end, and make the rear a little more predictable. My current fronts are OTS Koni singles, with over 100k on them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was certainly on the limiter a lot more than you were, Stephen. I don't know if this is different gearing, or different driving.
By my calculations, the GT runs out of second gear around 57 mph, whereas my car runs out around 61, so it's not unexpected that you're on the limiter a lot more than I am.

Later tonight / this week I'll look at my data and see how fast I was going in the sections where you hit limiter, to see who got there first.

Thanks!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What tire size are you running? With the 225/45-15 (or the 275/35 - same diameter) Hoosier, I'd say we're doing less than 57 when we hit the limiter. But I haven't done the math. I just know it's too slow. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
While I believe in math, I believe in GPS data loggers more. My Celica won't go above 54mph in 2nd gear no matter how long I swear at the rev limiter.

For the courses I run out in Kali, I wonder if a GTS wouldn't be quicker just from the speed range alone?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't have the data logger info, but 54mph sounds about right.

With the nature of current National level autocross course design, the GTS is looking better all the time. I let the rev limiter kill my chances at a Match Tour this year. I should have been shifting to 3rd, where the Neon was still pulling.

There are a few things I'm going to take into the 2014 season:

Be better prepared - do more driving, get more seat time. This was my biggest regret, but there were too many "real life" events that got in the way.

Don't be afraid to shift - look carefully at places where I think I might bounce the rev limiter for an extended time, and go for the 3rd gear shift on the first run, not the 3rd.

Stop left foot braking - I've been doing this for many, many years. I originally learned while driving a FWD car that didn't rotate well. The Celica doesn't need help to rotate, so I think most of the advantage of LFB goes away. I gave away a trophy finish at Nationals this year when I blew a downshift because I hadn't moved my feet onto the correct pedals.

I'll never be too old to learn lessons.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Stop left foot braking - I've been doing this for many, many years. I originally learned while driving a FWD car that didn't rotate well. The Celica doesn't need help to rotate, so I think most of the advantage of LFB goes away. I gave away a trophy finish at Nationals this year when I blew a downshift because I hadn't moved my feet onto the correct pedals.
Now that's ironic. I put Tom Berry behind the wheel of mine and of course he clobbered me. His conclusion is I'd never go fast in this car until I learned to left-foot brake. Unfortunately my feet are too uncoordinated to do it right and I think it results in overbraking for me.

So thanks for the above comment. It gives me cover to ignore Tom's sage advice and just drive it like I want.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts