NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
GTS Turbo
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota Celica+ Nissan Silvia (180SX)

The FWD aspect has been an issue for me since day one in my Celica and I have seen builds such as the AWD 3SGTE Fensport Celica, the Suprica and The Boxer engine in the celica that never got finished.
Originally I wanted to build an AWD celica but realized that might break my budget (32k):money:. I would also have issues competing against the factory AWD turbocharged evos and STI's.
I know Tyler from Tyler Wolfson Racing and love how far he has made it the last couple of drift seasons. So the idea hit me. Why not a RWD celica built with a SR20DET engine and transmission from a 1991 180SX.
I obviously would add more weight to the rear so I wont have the suprica traction issues I have been told about.

Obviously it would be a major project and take me close to a year, But could you imagine a RWD 7th Gen Celica built with a Nissan components?
I think about 350 to 400 hp would be enough and it would be a track car only.
I am looking for a donor car now.

I don't want a 180sx and I love the look of the Celica.
Also I was unhappy with the FRS when I test drove it and I feel like everyone at the track brings them out to drift, it is almost as bad as the mustangs.

My question is what are your thoughts?
Please no trolling and only constructive thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
No to the SR20... Either 3SGTE it or hell do a RWD 2ZZ.. Nissans are suppose to have Toyota motors put into them, not the other way around..

·
GTS Turbo
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No to the SR20... Either 3SGTE it or hell do a RWD 2ZZ.. Nissans are suppose to have Toyota motors put into them, not the other way around..
With what transmission. I want something I can drop in.... not some custom bolt up transmission.

·
2,644 Posts
mid engine ftw

:headbang:
someone made a mid engine "coupe celica" and it looked....odd...

i say just put a 2jz in it rwd, why do you want a nissan motor? just wondering

but either way, any rwd celica would be sick, despite what motor it has in it
do it!

·
Turbo 2zz
4,674 Posts
With what transmission. I want something I can drop in.... not some custom bolt up transmission.
for most fwd - rwd conversion when retaining the original motor the different model trans will need a custom bell housing to make it 'drop in' that said there are companies that can make these for cheaper than you think.

i can photoshop an s13 front to a celica or i can photoshop a celica front to an s13

·
GTS Turbo
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and no, if i dropped the SR20 in with the transmission, I would not need a custom one made.
I want to see pictures of this mid engine celica.

If I wanted mid engine, I would get an MRS or an Elise.
I chose the Nissan platform because the 2JZ has major traction issues because the front weighs way too much and the rear is too light. I want to keep it balanced and limit firewall modification.

·
Spanning Tree Storm
1,258 Posts
it is not clear what you are trying to achieve....
fun? race car? what category? drifting car?

·
GTS Turbo
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
drift car.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
I'm pretty much failing to see how anything is just going to 'drop in' when you're taking a car and platform that's FWD and always has been and trying to make it RWD. Forget that idea. You're going to pretty much do like the Suprica but with whatever engine and trans you want.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts