NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 GTS with a dash lighting issue in the centre section.
The radio and climate control lighting are affected and are all dark.
The stock radio displays ok, but the back lighting is out.
The daytime running lights all work inside and out.
On start-up, I can hear a click that I believe comes from the light sensor circuit on top of the dash next to the windshield.
I continuity-tested all the fuses in the inside fuse box.
The dash light dimmer switch is working as designed on the main dash light circuit, which works like it should.
Nothing obvious seems to be occurring.
The online shop manual isn't very clear on the circuitry of the interior lighting. I think it is controlled by the body computer in the fuse panel.
Does anyone have any suggestions for testing? I have parts to swap if necessary but I would rather diagnose the issue accurately first if possible.
Thank you for your wisdom and experience.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bud.
I have a couple of spare clusters to swap and try.
This car was put together using 3 different Celicas and the cluster was removed and replaced a couple of times (one had a burnt out CEL), so a failure like that is quite likely.
Question - Does the dash mounted light sensor feed the cluster or the body computer or both?

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,201 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A quick thank you to 2way for his solution to my console light dimming issue.
I swapped in a gauge cluster from another manual transmission car and all the lights came back on, and stayed on through all the day/night, on/off tests.
I appreciate the help. Have a good one.
Dentman

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,201 Posts
:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Reminds me. A couple of lights on the passenger side of the center stack for HVAC, etc. would go out on my higher-mileage '00 GT-S. I leaned over and smacked the side of column and they came on. I think I had to do it like 2-3 times over the 10+ years I owned that one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts