NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I changed spark plugs today with Bosch Platinum +4 but the old spark plugs don't look so good. From the looks of the spark plugs it seems that the car is running too lean or is overheating (don't think its overheating). All four plugs look the same so I don't think it can be the injectors now I am stuck thinking its either a clogged line or fuel filter is going bad. What else do you think I should look into? Its a 2000 GT

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
The accumulation of deposits on the firing end is influenced by oil leakage, fuel quality and the engines operating period.

Deposits come from
Fuel: C (carbon) Pb (lead) Br (bromine)​

Oil: C, Ca(calcium) S (sulfur) Ba (barium) Zn (zinc)​

Others: Fe (iron) Si (silicon) Al (aluminum) ect.​
hope that helps,

find a place that can chemically analyze the deposits and you will know your problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Didn't feel any difference at all. When I bought the car it was throwing CEL PO420 I erased it and it didn't come back yet.

·
Registered
881 Posts
You should get denso iridium plugs instead

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
It will run on the platinums, but the Denso iridiums are better.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
you're burning oil.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just spent $26 on spark plug I don't feel like going and buying $30 once and installing them again. The once that were in there weren't iridium also.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Bosch is the worst spark plug ever made. You should have went to Toyota and bought oe's for like $8/plug. Iridiums burn a lot hotter (stronger spark) then those pos bosch plugs. Bosch caused misfires also, unburnt fuel building in the cat causing it to burn out. But, it's your choice

·
Registered
175 Posts
I second Boosted; it's using oil. My plugs looked like that last time I checked. It's just part of the fun of being the owner of a pre-2003 GT.

·
Registered
400 Posts
first lesson to learn is to never ever run bosch plugs. I won't run those things in anything I own. Even my ford exploder gets denso or ngk plugs. Don't wait to change them. You already have issues it seems....don't make them worse. You need to have the car looked at. How many qts of oil are you burning between changes? Do you have smoke on startup that may point to valve seals? Smoke under accel may be rings I would think. Bottom line...people will knock alot of products...its because people believe diff things..HOWEVER...this is the ONE time you HAVE to listen to everyone. Those plugs are bad news! Get them out asap...I wouldn't even drive the car with them in!

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Not all applications are the same, but I've had Bosch plugs in some of my cars and the were fine. :shrugs:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well went back to Advance and returned the plugs and bought Platinum IR Fusion, I know you all say that Bosch is very bad but I never had any problems with their plugs. Well at least I have the Iridium plugs i the car now (can't feel any difference).

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
That's alright, you're not supposed to feel any difference. With time and use the iridiums will keep things cleaner in the long run.

·
Registered
400 Posts
:rolleyes: Your call but in an import car I run a plug made for an import call. Why pay so much for a plug thats not as good as the stock plug....let us know how it turns out...in the mean time I will stick to my proven denso plugs

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
NGK and Denso are the only plugs I've never had problems with on a Toyota.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts