NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has some been able to change these to blue, and if so, we really need an install on this. what leds to use, etc. anyone??

one noticeable problem is the A/C and defrost leds have two different brightnesses (day and night) and have to be visible under both voltages.

but is it a simple swap or will that not work due to voltage differences in the led colors?

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
I know clone has changed the LED on his drivers side window switch... you can ask him about that, but as for the a/c defrost light.... dont think anyone has changed those.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Noooooo.... I want to change the LEDS for the defrost and AC buttons. the green and orange leds. i figured the window switch would be pretty easy but those other two might be hard. someone has to have done it though...

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The actual stock lights are bulbs, not led's so what most people including myself did was put a neon tube behind the a/c controls. I also swapped the cig lighter bulb w/ a blue LED. PM me for info on that.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'M NOT TRYING TO CHANGE THE AC CONTROLS I'M TRYING TO CHANGE THE SMALL LEDS THAT LIGHT UP WHEN YOU PUSH THE AC OR DEFROST BUTTONS.

·
Registered
703 Posts
You can do it. I've done it. It is simply desoldering the stock leds out, and replacing it with ones you wish to put it. For example, the stock leds are I believe are T-1 3/4 type. So basically, go to Fry's electronics, and get the color LED you wish, and just swap them from what was on the stock ac board. It isn't that hard. Just remember the configuration of poloarity with respect to Anode and Cathode on the LED, or else they won't work, and you'll have to desolder them, and reverse the prong position they were on before.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've changed my stock radio and driver's side window switch LED to orange, that wasn't that hard. I looked at the defroster, it was already orange, Yea! The a/c LED is behind a long, clear plastic lense that brings the light to the button. Looked like too much of a hassle so I have one green LED on the dash.

...and yes, I still sleep at night.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i gotta get EVERYTHING blue. it's just gotta be. i can't believe more people haven't attempted this. i'm just worried it won't be bright enough to see during the day (or at night since its less voltage therefore darker at night) and then that would suck because you can't tell when its on. (kinda like my damn clock during the day)

·
Registered
27,517 Posts
i kinda like how everythings is not totally lit up blue on my interior. i am a perfectionist too bro, but i also like a lil spice of variety in the interior. are u gonna try to change the clock to blue too. cuz thats the only thing that i really wanna change, but i wont bother with the hassle. thats always lit, and it looks more like green when compared to my gauges, radio, and AC controls.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
its a filter. its not blue blue, but it matches exactly with the pioneer's screen, that greenish blue color.

·
Registered
703 Posts
There is a way to make the clock blue. I've been contacting various VFD manufacturers like Futuaba for help in replacing the stock VFD with one that is blue with the correct pin and clock configuration. So far, not so good, because they can't tell what serial type and VFD stamp the celica clock uses. I'll let you know when I am able to be successful in swapping it out.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i had just emailed a few places about this as well. they say the can do custom automotive applications, so we'll see.

blue lucifer, you've done all the other leds right? what kind of leds did you use for the ac and defrost leds? it seems i need 1.7 and 2.7ish volts for night/day. that seems to not be too bad. that seems very doable with a normal 5mm led...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts