NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a harness and I wanted to change it's color. I was told that fabric dye wont work and I needed to get some spray paint thats made for plastics (b/c it is made out of nylon) and is flexible. I was also told that the paint will wear off over time.

Anybody have any suggestions or have a proven method they would like to share? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
A freind of mine had his harness appolstered in leather . It actually came out very nice he used black leather with blue stiching and blue piping.The piping was very thin and used threw out the outside edges . Threw the middle of each harness strap ,5 rows of blue stich were sewn in. This not only looked good but is what held the leather on to the nylon straps.

In the end you could not see any of the original yellow harness color . It was a bit pricey I beleive .But it came out great . Vynol or another cheaper material could be used as well to keep cost down.If your intrested I'll find some pics so you can give the appolsterer something to go from.

Sinc:Kenny Heiser

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Fabric dye would last much longer than vinyl dye, but won't have anywhere near as much of a visual difference. Vinyl dye would just scrape off onto your clothes, and any other source of abrasion.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by evil eye
I would suggest selling yours and buying new ones.
well i bought the harness for $50 in purple. If I wanted it in black it would be $250. You think I made a bad decision?
Originally posted by Blue Bomber
Fabric dye would last much longer than vinyl dye, but won't have anywhere near as much of a visual difference. Vinyl dye would just scrape off onto your clothes, and any other source of abrasion.
but which spray paint would i USE?

·
Registered
27,517 Posts
Damn $200 more for black? That's a bit crazy in price, I agree. But I would never buy something I didn't really want 100%, like the color. I dunno man, but I wouldn't paint it. It will come off no matter what, over time.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Mistrimeat
Duplicolor Fabric Spray from Wal Mart, Pep Boyz, AutoZone, etc.......
but it is nylon. which is what I assume to be the same material as the stock seatbelts.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Just dye it! However, be aware that any dye of any kind can weaken the harness, just a little FYI! This is why they tell you not to dye seatbelts on classic cars but to get new ones instead. The dye weakens the the fabric causing it to be brittle when yanked very hard. Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts