NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for how to changes the transmission fluid on my car in the service manual, and its describing how to take out the whole transmission. Do you seriously have to do that much work to change the fluid??

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
jack up car. find plug. put bucket or somethin under plug to catch the fluid. i hear mt90 trannyu fliud is good. fill tranny, put plug back in. all done. easier than oil.

at the top of the forums main page....site info & features:install guides, maintanance: tranny fluid fill. detailed pics and instructions

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking thats what it should be but I had my car at the shop once before and they said they coldnt find the filler plug, and I was short a quart of MT-90. I guess I'll run it up and get it up on the lift again today. Much easier than jacking it up myself ;)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was a Daimler Chrysler/GM shop (went there because its respectable), so they've probably never had a Celica in there before.

WHere would I find this sticky?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I got it changed, but the thing filled up at just under 2 quarts. The car was level when it was done too. How do I get the other half quart in there or does it need to be done?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
you can't get all of it out, just fill til it's leveled off.
jst07 said:
Well I got it changed, but the thing filled up at just under 2 quarts. The car was level when it was done too. How do I get the other half quart in there or does it need to be done?
make sure it's the right filler bolt, if your filling in the wrong bolt your overfilling or underfilling.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
jst07 said:
I just did mine.
Again.
It definitely is about 2.5 quarts. The first time I did it I only got 1 to 1.5 quarts out of it. 2.5 went in. It scared me. The previous owner must have had a GM/Chrysler shop do it for her.
dB

·
Registered
285 Posts
Do it yourself and be done with it. It's easier than changing oil. Just get yourself one of those pumps to pump the fluid into the fill hole. I forgot what those pumps are called, but they're like a bigger version of the pumps used on hand soap dispensers.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
deltaB said:
I just did mine.
Again.
It definitely is about 2.5 quarts. The first time I did it I only got 1 to 1.5 quarts out of it. 2.5 went in. It scared me. The previous owner must have had a GM/Chrysler shop do it for her.
dB

So what was the story when you only got 1.5quarts in the first time, did you not get all of it to drain out?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
jst07 said:
So what was the story when you only got 1.5quarts in the first time, did you not get all of it to drain out?
It all came out. There just wasn't a whole lot TO come out. I was thinking I missed a second drain plug or something. 2.5 went back in, so there wasn't anything hiding in there. I couldn't find any leaks either. I bought it used, so I don't know how long it had been like that. I sure jiffy-lube really checks it since it's on their little piece of paper saying they did. The transmission was replaced under warantee during previous ownership. Could just be the dealer service left it like that.
Check your levels.
dB

·
Registered
427 Posts
I did mine the other day... I used Synthetic Syncromax... Killed the grinds for the most part... I def. need a 2nd gear synco though... Car pops out of gear.... it sux...

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
why did you put something with synchromesh into a trans that wasn't designed for it? Your going to wear the synchros quicker

1 - 16 of 16 Posts