NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 19mm socket and breaker bar combo I have will not fit in the confined space to pull the assembly enough to relax the belt tensioner...I have a wrench but it does not give enough leverage to pull.
What do you guys use to do this without deforming the bolt?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
vise grips FTW! Just make sure you get that thing so that you have to squeeze as hard as you can to get it to lock on that bolt. I used that and it came loose right away. pull from the underside of the car and it should come right off.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Barabaika said:
You can use a second wrench and connect them like this.
You can wrap them by scotch for safety.

That's clever, as long as they do not separate!! I was thinking I would go and see if I can find an extra long wrench, the type used in construction, that ought to work.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I paid my mechanic $10 on a hot engine to change the belt or was it $20. The 30 minutes I waited because he was burning his hands I spent drinking water and seeing girls hitting golf balls from across the highway. I'm glad I saved myself that aggravation of doing it myself on all accounts. Best $20 ever.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
+1 for the 2 wrenches, they lock together and will let you muscle the tensioner enough to get the belt in place.
I hope you got a gatorback belt, unless you want to deal with a squealing tensioner/belt again in the not so distant future.

·
Registered
711 Posts
blugts said:
That's clever, as long as they do not separate!!
They won't separate if you keep them parallel to each other.
The tensioner doesn't need an extra power, just move the wrench slowly. Though, it's better to put on gloves.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Yup thats the way i did it. I actually needed a friend to help me. I tried doing it by myself and it was impossible. Just use one wrench to hold the belt tensioner and a second wrench to wrap around the open top and pull towards the front end. Have a friend wrap the last pulley on.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it done, also found out it is easier to start from the top than from the bottom...a lot of bends on the belt from the factory packaging kept twisting it the wrong way as I went along from below, not a problem from the top.

---YES, I got a gatorback...$23 on autozone, good price.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Autozone also lets you rent a flat 3/4" bar. It's actually called a serp belt replacer. Its got a couple sizes. It's a flat steel bar that slips over it and its about 2 ft. long so its nice and easy to pull the tensioner.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
blugts said:
Barabaika said:
You can use a second wrench and connect them like this.
You can wrap them by scotch for safety.

That's clever, as long as they do not separate!! I was thinking I would go and see if I can find an extra long wrench, the type used in construction, that ought to work.
Actually thats not the way you lock the wrenchs and you will hurt yourself if you try it this way. There is a much better way of doing it with the wrenches locked differently.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Guess I'm the only one who didn't have any problems? When I put the belt back on I wound it around from the top and pulled from the bottom to get it on...went right on in like 5 seconds.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SickCelica696 said:
Autozone also lets you rent a flat 3/4" bar. It's actually called a serp belt replacer. Its got a couple sizes. It's a flat steel bar that slips over it and its about 2 ft. long so its nice and easy to pull the tensioner.
Sounds like a nice tool to add to my garage!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
SickCelica696 said:
Actually thats not the way you lock the wrenchs and you will hurt yourself if you try it this way. There is a much better way of doing it with the wrenches locked differently.
yeah, by taking the box end of one wrench and interlocking the open end of the other.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts