NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally did it. I wanted my car to be a little different from all the black, action-package celicas out there. I cut them myself with rocker trim. It's a lot like doing vinyl graphics, only it's made from mylar. So if theres a lot of complex compund curves, this may not be the best option (depending on the shape of the graphic)

Car's still dirty, I need to let the adhesive set fro 24 hours before I can wash/wax the car again. So these pics are just the preview. As soon as the car is clean, and my latest mods are in, I will be posting more pics.

They are loosely inspired by the veilside graphics, but mine are a little different, and feature a TRD logo.

Eventually, I'll be writing up a how-to, for those interested in incorporating chrome into their graphics scheme.

Enjoy!

· Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely on my to-do list. that and 17" rims (black w/fat chrome lip ^_^ )

I thought about going more sublte, but that's about as subtle as I will get :gap:

Definitely not the full-body graphics type though. Either way, I'm sure I'll probably not see another car looking exactly like mine anytime soon. :thumbup:

BTW, it took me about 9 hours to lay out the lines, cut the graphics (all by hand) and apply them. I majored in commercial design and advertising design in college, and also worked a short stint as a signmaker/silk screen press operator. This was all done by myself, no vinyl shops involved whatsoever.

· Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's sort of what I want, 17" Black rims w/chrome lip. It's going to be a while before I can get the ones I want, though.

Believe it or not, I actually have a game plan for my car, not that it always seems like I do. There is a method to my madness.

I have a bunch of parts on the way, and will probably do more as soon as my tax return comes in.

Maybe I'll do a photochop later tonight, with some nice rims and a drop. it'll give a better feel of where I'm headed with this project.

· Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yea, I know. Originally I didn't want them like that, but after an earlier attempt at laying the graphics below that body line, for some reason it didn't quite look right to me when the passenger side was done.

I started over from scratch, using masking tape to create my lines, and played around with it a little, I let the lines flare up at the rear, and it seemed to work for me. I cut the graphics again, and this time around, I liked it better.

In actuallity, it's best if the bottom edge of the graphic were to flare down at the back (where it curves around the wheel arch and out to the taillights) but again, I taped the lines out and I thought it looked gaudy as hell.

It's one of those things where it comes down to personal preference. I didn't like crossing the body lines either, most designers consider it sacrilege, but this achieves the best look from the profile for my tastes.

It's mostly due to the fact that that perticular body line has an up/down curve to it from front to back. it's very subtle, and because the graphics are mylar, you can't get them to fit those linear curves as easily as vinyl or masking tape does. the line had to pass under the side mirror and follow that line, but it's not perfectly straight, it's actually a subtle arch, and mylar can't flex along it's edge axis, not without getting wrinkled. And that's the downside to this stuff, it won't always conform to the curves the way vinyl, tape or paint can.

If I were to do it over again, I'd take those curves into account when cutting my templates, so the graphics wouldn't need to wrap over at the end, the cuts would incorporate the curve in the first place. maintaining that curve when you transfer tape-lines to paper is tough to do as well. Hindsight is 20/20 after all. Still, overall, I'm pleased with the end result.

I guess the other reason it works for me is the fact that it's chrome, the parts of the graphic that wrap around the curve and face up reflect the sky, those that face down reflect the ground, and those that face out will reflect what's around the car. So in incorporating the curves, you get a nice amount of the environment reflected in the stripes. It's sort of hard to describe, but it actually looks good that way in person. midway down the stripe, the graphic just begins to wrap over, the further back you go the more it wraps over, until, at the end it's about half under the line, and half over the line. It actually looks really nice on a clear, sunny day.

The photos don't begin to do justice to it.

I can always do it over again if I choose to, but right now, I'm pretty satisfied.

· Registered
27,411 Posts
TRD GT-S said:
I'm not a fan of chrome but :thumbup: for effort and creativity of doing it yourself.
:werd:

I believe the Veilside graphics are a bit thinner and run along the body line, right below it. I read your long post, but I still feel it would look better if you took into account the sharp line, and not overlap it. Good effort though.

· Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yea, I wanted the lines a bit fatter though, I wanted to try something different.

I thought about applying chrome to the end caps (adjustment covers on the wing) but I cut a piece, put it on there just to get an idea, but personally, I thought is was a little too much.

I may post a pic with it on and get some opinions, still, It just looked out of place, being an elipse, when the rest of the chrome is very linear (straight cuts, the only curves come from the bodywork itself) it's sort of hard to explain.

As for doing the entire car with this, it would require a lot of planning, a machine to cut the stuff to handle all the curves, and steady nerves acompanied by a LOT of soapy water. Personally, I wouldn't have the nerve to try covering a celica entirely with this stuff. A large graphic would not be out of the question, however. Just not on my car, please ^_^

· Registered
4,005 Posts
Originally posted by Rave669
Yea, I wanted the lines a bit fatter though, I wanted to try something different.

I thought about applying chrome to the end caps (adjustment covers on the wing) but I cut a piece, put it on there just to get an idea, but personally, I thought is was a little too much.

I may post a pic with it on and get some opinions, still, It just looked out of place, being an elipse, when the rest of the chrome is very linear (straight cuts, the only curves come from the bodywork itself) it's sort of hard to explain.

As for doing the entire car with this, it would require a lot of planning, a machine to cut the stuff to handle all the curves, and steady nerves acompanied by a LOT of soapy water. Personally, I wouldn't have the nerve to try covering a celica entirely with this stuff. A large graphic would not be out of the question, however. Just not on my car, please ^_^

haha okay, just askin cus i remember seeing a picture of a prelude i think at some show. the whole car looked chrome, lookd interesting since its not everyday you see something like that.

· Registered
3,742 Posts
Originally posted by silv3r0ne
how hard would it be to make the whole car chrome like that...thatd really set you apart from the rest of the trd celicas.
I dont think it would be hard , but everytime a rock hit it your going to see your paint underneath it. And it would show really easily, not to mention dirt on it would be seen a mile away. You could dip all the pieces in chrome though . Thats different but its VERY expensive

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.