NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a fiber images oem style hood on my celica and the clear coat is all f*cked up and faded and you cant even see through to the weave in some places.

DO you think that wet sanding it and applying a new clear coat and using rubbing/polishing compound a few times would make it look better?

i dont wanna take it to a shop and pay a sh*t load, so i wanna try it myself, cant make it worse right? haha

any feedback would be appreciated

thanks

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
You can F it up if you sand too deep. Try using like 400 grit and then spray some clearcoat on there. Wetsand with 1200 all the way through 200 grit. Compound and polish.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
i tried and failed. my results werent much better than what i had before. i think you would have to sand down to bare carbon fiber to get the yellow out, other wise you will be spraying fresh new clear coat over yellow clear. i was told that shops wouldnt charge too much for this, around the 200 dollar range. let us know what you come up with.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I sanded my CF SCOOP down with some 1500 or 2000 grit, and then hit it with some rubbing compound then wax and it did it justice. I am not sure how well it would work for anything else, but it did that great.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
i just did mine. check out my thread here. it is an oem cf hood. DO NOT use 400 grit paper. that is a very bad peiece of advice. wet sand with like 800 minimum if not 1000. and THEN if that doesnt work very very lightly dry sand with at least 1000 grit and then spray on some clear paint i used spray paint. and then go ahead and wet sand it with at least 1500 if not 2000 grit sand paper to achieve a nice smooth finish. and MOST shops will charge 120-180 for them to do this. some people have gotten hooked up for less but its not common unless they are close with the owners of the shop and its a favor. but its not very hard and only takes a few hours. but make sure you mask off the whole front end of the car aside from the hood. even the whole windshield you dont want any overspray.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
nah see idealy he has a thick enough clear coat that he can sand off the fukt up stuff and leave a little on. you dont want to have to go all the way down to the carbon fiber. then its easier to jack it up and then you can only paint match and have a little bit lighter hood. since he said his is just white and oxidized and not yellowing out he should be ok if he tends to it quickly. if you sand a lil off the top and the white is gone and it just looks like dull cf but not whiteish or yellowish or anything. just not shiny and new. then you are ok to just spray over and come out with a super nice glossy finish after a nice soft wetsand once the paint dries.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Does anyone in the LA area know of a shop that can do this for the carbon fiber hood?

·
Registered
173 Posts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.