NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
these stickers were meant to be sticked on after painting the climate control part of the center counsel. But what If put them on before paint then peeled the stickers off? Has anyone done this if so how would it look?

I want to paint it but trying to keep the option of seeing th AC/C at night.

·
Registered
151 Posts
if your very talented and can trace it very good!!! you might wanna spray it very light every coating otherwise the paint will soak on the tape! when that happens you can always buy the sticker if you can find one...... post picture when your done

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
There are alot of topic's on this. But i won't tell you to search for them.

Your options are masking, vaseline, stickers and transparent paint.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Yea I think the vaseline/any gel is the easiest. You jus use a q-tip o something and wipe a coat onto the stuff not painting. Then when the rest is dry you just wipe the gel off.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
You cold always just leave the grey rings too.. so you dont have to worry bout taping off the icons.. i think voodoo has it like that?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I used transparent tape (scotch tape) and cut the shape with an exacto knife. Once I was done with paint I removed the tape carefully with the exacto, and then clear coated over the whole thing. Worked great to smooth out the edges. I might recommend actually not masking the letters for "HI" and "OFF" so close like VindiCAtor and I did, if I had it to do over again I'd mask it with an oval shape that left a little grey around the words. The icons for the car look cool if they're masked pretty close but the words just don't. By leaving a little space around the words it looks like it was purposeful and therefore not ghetto imho.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
imp said:
looks good from a distance...but kind of crap up close. Good idea though.
Well I didn't use the Polymark fabric paint pen on the HVAC panel. I used vaseline and that stuff is so much harder to work with than fabric paint. I did however use the fabric paint pen on the knobs and wow those turned out perfect. So unfortunately I didn't find out about the Polymark fabric paint pen until after I painted the HVAC panel.

So the knobs look awesome and the HVAC panel lines are a little jagged in areas, but nothing I'm going to re-do - that would be extremely tedious.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Polymark fabric paint is best for masking the icons off. You can find it at Wal-mart. Here are pictures of my HVAC panel.
I asked the women at our Wal-Mart here about the fabric paint, and none of them had ever heard of it.

I want to paint mine, but there's way too much dust and bugs here. I can't even wash one panel on my car without the last one looking dirty as hell and bugs sticking to the water on my car.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
zoicite said:
Polymark fabric paint is best for masking the icons off. You can find it at Wal-mart. Here are pictures of my HVAC panel.
I asked the women at our Wal-Mart here about the fabric paint, and none of them had ever heard of it.

I want to paint mine, but there's way too much dust and bugs here. I can't even wash one panel on my car without the last one looking dirty as hell and bugs sticking to the water on my car.
It exists my friend, here's the thread where I found out about it from mistabones, but it looks like he has replaced the pictures of the product with pictures of his bodykit. http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=198730&highlight=mistabones It's full name is Polymark dimensional fabric and craft paint pen. Look in the fabric/craft department. It comes in all colors, but it really doesn't matter which one you pick up since it is for masking purposes.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yeah, I saw that thread a long time ago. That's how I found out about the pen. I wrote down the whole name and went to the craft section in Wal-Mart and asked one of the women there about it (she also works at my old high school, so I know her), and all of the women back there said they had never heard of it.

Which, I live in the middle of nowhere, too, and there's, like, absolutely nothing out here.

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
Michael's sucks man, i tried to find cellphane film there for doing my clock conversion and from the employees had no clue what I was talking about, even though I had brought it up on the store website before I drove down there just to make sure they stocked it.

And i've never seen those pens in any of the walmarts I have been to in NC, but I haven't been looking for them either so they could very well be there. If your in a small town wait until you go out of town and check another walmart or order it online I am sure you can find it there.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
vindiCAtor said:
I did however use the fabric paint pen on the knobs and wow those turned out perfect. So unfortunately I didn't find out about the Polymark fabric paint pen until after I painted the HVAC panel.
What did you do to the knobs? I just sprayed over everything, then scratched off the white part. Paint came off instantly on the white part and didn't damage it at all

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
I taped my knobs to paint. I didn't realize you could scratch it off without messing up the finish of the white plastic.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
vegeta4ss said:
I taped my knobs to paint. I didn't realize you could scratch it off without messing up the finish of the white plastic.
Guess it depends what paint.. I used the duplicolor interior stuff and it just flaked off the white part.. surprised me actually..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts