NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did a search and got some good info on the clutch job.

doing ok so far, but I need to know how to get that huge axle nut off. I tried using the loaner 32mm and 34mm sockets from Kragen but they didn't fit in. 32 seemed too small to fit around the nut, but 34 seemed too big to fit in the hub circle, that surrounds the axle nut. Is it possible the wall of the 34 mm socket from kragen is too thick? It does look a little thick. Also, I looked in around the nut and the walls of the hub seem to slope in toward the nut.
Could it be an odd 33mm? Kragen said they don't carry a 33mm loaner and no one ever asks for it. Toyota said they don't know and the mechanics always see what fits from all the sockets they have. Then I had the service manager ask a mechanic for me and he said he does use 33mm occassionally. So I'm thinking it might be the Ceclica. The manager was being honest because I know the guy.

What size did guys you use to get that nut off? It's hard enough finding places that carry sockets in that size range.

thanks, I need help fast so I can get my clutch in and get my car running.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
actually from doing a little reading of back posts, I might just take the axle off with the hub on it. Even if I get the right socket, I don't have a 6 ft breaker bar or a 600 ft-lb impact air wrench.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks...
I'll get that if I snap an axle if I should ever go turbo. Can you think of any other reason I might want to seperate the hub from the axle?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Breaker bar???

Use a galvanized steel Pipe!!!! with your ratchet....!!!! it works for me!!! oh.. removing the axles from hub... to replace cv boot and recondition bearings/lube em up!!!!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Originally posted by QTRMLR_1
Even if I get the right socket, I don't have a 6 ft breaker bar or a 600 ft-lb impact air wrench.
I only needed 3ft and some muscle ;)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I've done it both ways - axles attached, axles removed. It's slightly easier to pull the drivers side axle when it isn't attached to the hub.

I had no problems removing the axle nut with an impact wrench (good for about 600 ft-lbs). Replacement nuts are cheap, and typically in stock at the local dealer.

Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts