NewCelica.org Forum banner

Clutch Problems

1157 Views 11 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  mrfunny107
My car has recently had a couple of episodes where the clutch pedal all of a sudden locks up and I can barely push in the clutch far enough to change gears. I have no clue why it's doing this but it's getting really annoying and unsafe. The video below is the noise that it makes whenever I push in the clutch pedal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qIxyfvPnYs

If anyone has any insight into this please let me know ASAP. I drive close to 500 miles a week for work and having my car not running is not an option.

My only guess is the throw-out bearing. There is a rumble to the clutch pedal when pressing it but it's not terrible.
1 - 2 of 12 Posts
Seriously?? :AF:

Anyone know what it costs at a shop to replace?

Should I go OEM or aftermarket? Don't have a ton of money to spend but maybe I can find a good deal on a used one.
i'd upgrade my clutch if i had to replace it. southbend has nice ones for fair prices. you might pay around $250 or so for a clutch depending on what type and from where you purchase it from. its takes a good amount of time to replace it too so labor is whats really gonna drain your wallet. i was quoted about $275 for the parts and 5-6 hours of labor. so i was looking at about roughly $850 or so. i didn't wanna pay that much so i took the daring leap and did it myself.
if you have a good set of tools and a bit of time and patience, you can pull off a clutch swap no problem with the help of a guide. the clutch itself is fairly easy, getting to it is the hard part. i remember someone posted a guide here somewhere and i think theres pics and everything. hopefully you have an air compressor, it makes things so much easier.
1 - 2 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.