NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the difference between 6 and 4 puc clutch discs and how much harder would a 4 puc be for daily driving? any information regarding subject would be found...helpful? thanks :)

jon

·
Registered
19,279 Posts
well, 6 puck has 6 surface areas while 4 puck has only 4. :chuckles:

There should be a noticeable difference in engagement range in the pedal and with a 4 puck it will pretty much instantly engage, so it's really not ideal for daily driving. 6 puck wouldn't be as bad, but still harder than a normal full disc clutch for daily driving.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Butt Dyno said:
Are you in the market for one or jus askin hypothetically? :)
yeah, i'm in the market for one

(btw: i saw ya at the scoobie chanllenge ;) )

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
marc said:
I wouldn't use either for the street.
I agree. I would suggest a hybrid clutch disc for any street application that requires more excessive holding force.. I've also heard that when "puck-style" clutches let go it's instantaneous. No slight slipping, just ownage. You don't know when it'll happen, it'll just leave you stranded on the side of the road.

BTW, what setup do you have that'll require a 4 or 6 puck clutch?

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
my ACT XT was just like that - no slip, you just let go and it caught - really difficult to get the hang of when you have a 5 lb flywheel at the same time - I think it took me about 30 minutes to relearn how to drive the car.

Now I've gone over to the light side, and I'll only use Clutchmasters. Take a look at an ACT clutch after 300 miles - its already burned up around the edges - they're cheap for a reason.

Unless you're boosting you'll be fine with a Clutchmasters Stage I - its what I'm running on my Eclipse right now, and its holding my monstrous power fine. My friend had a Stage IV on his 9 second Civic - it was a dual disc affair - he claimed it was still streetable, but he was the kind of guy who'd head over to Duke Street twice a week since he only ran race gas on his car.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it would be for a 3sgte setup in my celica...

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I had a 6 puck clutch in the bug when it was in its low 13 sec ET days. That thing was a pain in the ass to drive around everyday. Couldnt really slip it at all. If I wasnt careful with the gas it would always break the tires loose on launch and shifting into 2nd and 3rd.

Cable clutch, spring actuated return + clutch stiffness = sore left calf muscles on a daily basis.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts