NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I was looking at Skunk 2 Lowering springs and their Coilovers. Is there anything I should know about the to than one you can adjust and one youcant. Also which do people recommend

One other question. Is this s DIY project or should I just bring it to the shop and have them take care of it. How much do shops cost BALLPARK to change them all out? Thanks again

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you have the knowledge and the tools required you can do it yourself. If you plan on doing it yourself make sure you get a spring compressor. if you try to do it yourself then realize your in over your head go get it professionally done.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Coilovers are way more expensive than Springs, however, they're adjustable. Springs are set to a certain height change on your car. I prefer coilovers though.

ummm, you can do them yourself if you have some kind of experience or a buddy who knows how to do them. I've changed out my stock Struts for the Tien SS Coilovers with Pillowball Uppermounts and it was pretty easy to do. With Springs, you could always go to an Autozone and rent of one of their spring compressors, but if I was to do springs, I'll rather go to a shop where they got better tools to work with especially the spring compressor.

One more thing, if you are thinking about dropping your car, you may consider getting chambering kits. sometimes when you lower your car, the tires may slant in a little bit which can be bad for your tires and your traction when driving. and when turning, they could touch your sidewall and eat away at your tires and stuff like that. Chambering kits will help keep your tires straight and all that other good stuff.

but yeah, normally, I never go to a shop to get any work done on my car unless it's something that I cannot do at all. you could save a lot of money by doing it yourself. labor fees can be a mother****er when it comes to stuff like this!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am pretty handy with the car stuff I just have never done shocks... Brakes and Exhaust installs are gravy to me now. Just wondering and I think I am going to go with the skunk 2 coilovers... I found them for a decent price compaired to some other name brand and for all I have reseached they are a top notch brand.. I also think I am going to call around for pricing on installing them before I dive into that... Thanks again guys...
ONE OTHER QUESTION: IF I HAVE 17 inch RIMS WHAT is a good amount to lower the car with out getting into any trouble with all the problems of TOO LOW? thinking 1.8 front and 2.0 back or something close to that?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts