NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered Beer User
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and read most of the threads that cover this and got some useful information, but didn't want to play resurrect-a-thread...anyways:

I started hearing a knock from the tensioner area right after changing my belt with a gates belt (reference link). The noise only presented itself clearly when the engine was cold, went away mostly after warm up, however, I believe I still faintly heard it when lightly rev'ing the engine. Fast forward about 10 months and I finally changed the tensioner and the noise remains. I read something about a water pump making a marble/knock but I don't know...

I'm going to take the belt off tomorrow and run it for a few seconds to see if the belt is the issue (...not hopeful) - but the belt is really friggin tight, almost too tight...so maybe.

My little 2zz is getting pretty old though, 136k and going strong. No performance issues at all. No economy issues.

It can't possibly be real knock - it's gone 10 months. Just annoying.

Any pro tips?

Thanks!

P.S. The belt is a champ - no squeal even after rain. That was with the old tensioner.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,664 Posts
VVT startup noise maybe?

·
Registered Beer User
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow....it has something to do with the belt for sure. I took that sucker off and ran it for a minute and there was no soft knocking.

What the hell can cause that noise with the belt on though...

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,664 Posts
Go with a Gatorback & never go back ;)

·
Registered Beer User
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah that's my next step is a new belt to see if it's that or something the belt is driving. I looked at work (autozone) to see if we even had a dayco around the size and we don't.

I would never use one, just wanted a quick check 'cause I wouldn't have to buy it...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts