NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I think that I may speak for many of us when I say how tired I am of doing a billion searches looking for flywheel weights. I'm just about to do a flywheel change and figured that in all the time I wasted doing searches on individual weights, I would just compile all the results I found for GTS flywheel weights. These are the results that everyone seems to agree on the most, but I realize (in fact I'm pretty sure) that I may be wrong on one or two of these. In that case, I would greatly appreciate if you could correct me nicely (hehe...) so I could update this. Also, I feel that this compilation may be so useful to those looking to upgrade their flywheels that it should be "Hot Topiced"....but maybe I'm just being biased! Anyways, take a look at this, and like I said, correct me please.

~Stock GTS (chromoly) - 13.0 lbs.

~Gripforce (chromoly) - 11.0 lbs.
~Blitz Active Clutch (chromoly) - 10.5 lbs.
~MWR (forged chromoly) - 10.5 lbs. (GTS)
~Toda (chromoly) - 10.3617 lbs.
~MWR (forged chromoly) - 10.2 lbs. (GT)
~C-One Standard (chromoly) - 9.9208 lbs.
~JUN (chromoly) - 9.6998 lbs.
~TRD Japan Flywheel (chromoly) - 9.6 lbs.
~RPS Cyn-R-G Segmented (aluminum) - 9.5 lbs.
~C-One Type-R (chromoly) - 8.8 lbs.
~TOM's (chromoly) - 8.03 lbs.
~AASCO (aluminum) - 8.0 lbs.
~Mueller (aluminum) - 8.0 lbs.
~Unorthodox (aluminum) - 8.0 lbs.
~Fidanza (aluminum) - 7.5 lbs.

*OTHER - Weight Unknown*

~AASCO (6061 T6 aluminum)

So there you have it. I think I got them all. If there is one that's not on here, let me know. I'll update it. :cool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
JUN makes a flywheel for the ZZT231 that weighs 4 kg (approx 8.8 lbs.) but the prblem is that you have to order it from Japan. It costs JPY 37,000 yen (approx 297 USD) without shipping charges.

·
Registered
808 Posts
uansari said:
How much does the Fidanze change the driveability, and how? Is it harder to drive when it revs up and down so quickly?

Usman
The fidanza flywheel makes starting from a stop a little more difficult to do without stalling. You have to keep the revs up and slip the clutch a little longer than with the stock flywheel to get the car moving. Most people stall the engine their first time driving my car. I launch the car in normal driving at 1500 to 2000 rpms with the Fidanza flywheel although it's possible to do it as low as 1000 rpms with careful use of the clutch. It's a little more difficult to drive smoothly as when the car was stock because the throttle response is near instantaneous and accelleration is noticably improved. Rev-matching during down-shifts is easier since it only takes a quick blip of the throttle to keep the revs up. In any case, it only took me about 30 minutes driving it to become totally used to the new flywheel and IMO it's the best performance mod to my car after the CAI.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
aerospike2002 said:

~Stock GTS - 13.0 lbs. (taken from popular opinion and from X-Evil-X)
~Toda - 10.8 lbs. (taken from popular opinion on this board)
~Blitz Active Clutch flywheel - 10.5 lbs (taken from comments by X-Evil-X)
~TRD Japan Spec - 9.6 lbs. (taken from comments by nyoneway)
~JUN - 8.8 lbs. (refer to 18secCelica for comments on this one)
~TOM's - 8 lbs. (taken from comments by X-Evil-X)
~Unorthodox - 8 lbs. (taken from their website)
~Fidanza - 7.5 lbs. (taken from their website)
I like the idea of this list. It's an excellent resource. To be a little more precise, the TODA flywheel weighs 4.7 kg (or 10.3617 lbs), according to TODA's website: http://www.toda-racing.co.jp/product/parts/flywheel/2zz.html .

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
18secCelica said:
Does anyone have one on an automatic GTS? How does it run and what are the improvements?
You would be more interested in a torque convertor. Its basically the same mechanism for autos. Check it out, ive seen them floating around in the posts, do a search.

Btw, i have the fidanza wheel, and its sweet.
One unique thing about the fidanza wheel: It comes with a removable plate. This way you don't have re resurface the flywheel next time you get a new clutch (even wear), just replace the plate. plates run about $20. While you are paying the shop to do this btw, you might want to get an lsd and a highpressure clutch while your at it, its no trouble to them, and saves another service fee.

The replacable plate is the black ring.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sum this up so u aint gotta read it all...found 2 more flywheels: :fawk:

RPS Billet Flywheel - 9 lbs
Mueller Flywheel - 8 lbs

Found one not on the list: :chuckles:

RPS announces a new line of superior billet flywheels. These flywheels utilize RPS's patent pending "segmented" heat shield system. Traditional heat shields warp because of the uneven heat produced by a slipping clutch. Just like a car going around in a circle, the outside tires go faster than the inside tires, the clutch disc slides faster around the outside of the flywheel than it does around the inside. The faster moving outside gets hotter than the inside. Because metal expands more the hotter it gets, the outside of the heat shield expands more than the inside. Traditional heat shields are made of one piece metal rings, so when the outside expands more than the inside, the only thing the shield can do is warp. The RPS Segmented heat shields are not connected so they can expand and contract without warping. A warped heat shield causes the clutch to slip, which causes more heat and more warpage.

RPS Billet Flywheels are dynamically balanced after CNC machining. Other flywheel manufactures assume that since they CNC their flywheels it comes off the machine fully balanced. This would be true assuming the density of the aluminum is constant throughout the part. Unfortunately even the best billet material is not evenly dense throughout and the starter ring gears are never perfect.

RPS Billet Flywheels are also fully rebuildable for the life of the car and can be up-graded to Carbon-Carbon at any time.

Weight: 9lbs

Aircraft quality billet aluminum

Dynamically balanced

Patent pending

Segmented heat shields

Up-gradable to Carbon-Carbon

Fully rebuildable for life

Anodized and laser engraved

Another one:

Mueller Lightweight Flywheel for 2000+ Celica

This flywheel weighs only 8 pounds and is constructed of billet aluminum. Compared to a stock flywheel, the Mueller flywheel gives you: More usable horsepower and torque throughout the RPM range; Quicker rev's; Less turbo lag; Lowers stress on drivetrain, extended service life; and Higher RPM's. *Please click on More Info and select your model Celica.*

·
Registered
2 Posts
answers

Thought everyone might appreciate a few facts on flywheel performance characteristics:

-*In terms of hitting lift* it doesn't matter how far the revs drop between shifts. When you let the clutch back out (to reconnect the wheels to the engine) the speed/inertia of the wheels will kick the engine back up to whatever speed is equal to the wheels for that particular gear. Therefore, ideally engine speed should be right up there where you need it for lift. What would cause problems is not shifting fast enough. The more time you spend on shifting, the more time the wheels have to slow down. That slower wheel speed translates to a slower engine speed when you come back into gear (compared to if the wheels stayed at the same speed). Which brings me to my next point...

-Shift faster than you used to (or don't let off the throttle so much). The more difference there is between the wheel speed and corresponding engine speed, the harder it is on your clutch. The job of the clutch is to rev-match. If the engine speed drops too much, the clutch has to spin it back up. Work = friction = wear.

-Heavy flywheels help the car from a dead stop. If you try to launch a car with a light flywheel with too much throttle, you'll spin the crap out of the tires and end up sitting still forever. If you try to launch it with a light flywheel and too little throttle, you'll bog the engine and it'll take forever to get it back up into the rev range where it can make power. A heavy flywheel gives the engine more inertia and if you launch with too little throttle it's ok. The flywheel keeps the engine moving fast enough when the clutch plate starts pressing on it. No bog. If you launch with too much throttle the spinning force of the engine prevents the clutch from engaging so fast and the extra energy is absorbed by the clutch instead of making the wheels spin (as much as they would have otherwise).

-Light flywheels help the car when it's moving (even a little). Try this: take two 1 gallon jugs and spin around in a circle with your arms out to the sides. Then do the same thing with two 20 oz. bottles. Which is easier? The less mass the engine has to worry about accelerating, the faster the car will accelerate. That means make EVERYTHING lightweight and the car will accelerate faster... flywheel included. For the geeks, here's an equation: Force (N) = Mass (kg) * Accel (m/[s^2]). That means if the engine has a certain amount of hp, less mass makes more acceleration.

-Along with that last one, same thing goes for everything that rotates. Every pound you take off a rotating part produces the same results as taking two pounds off something stationary (ex. carbon fiber hood). For example, getting wheels that are two pounds lighter is like taking 16 lbs. off the car.

Conclusions: If you're a road racer, autocrosser, or a really talented drag racer, get a really f'ing light flywheel. If you're concerned about smooth launches, keep the stock one.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Are there any other ill effects from putting on a REALLY light flywheel? 8lbs or so? I know some cars end up getting misfire codes at idle or even erratic idle because the rotational mass is lowered too much.

·
Registered
19,279 Posts
Originally posted by boostjunkie26
Are there any other ill effects from putting on a REALLY light flywheel? 8lbs or so? I know some cars end up getting misfire codes at idle or even erratic idle because the rotational mass is lowered too much.
I have the fidanza and haven't had any probems so far.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Blk03Corolla,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. The list has been updated with the MWR Flywheel for the 2zz-ge engine. I don't have any more information on the unit besides what I provided, but it sounds like a GREAT unit! Someone should try it out soon. For more information, here is the link to the product.

http://monkeywrenchracing.com/mwr_chromoly_flywheel_toyota_2zz_ge_1.html

Also, RPS does make a flywheel for the 1zz-fe engine. Here is the link to the product section for that flywheel. It's right on the top of the page. Same design as that for the 2zz-ge engine.

http://www.turboclutch.com/cynrg_toyot.html

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Additionally, it appears that RPS has changed their flywheel design, or at least changed the name of their flywheel. I do believe it was a structural change, though, since the weight has been increased 0.5 lbs., 9.0 lbs. to 9.5 lbs.

They are now referred to as Cyn-R-G units. However, they are still fabricated of billet aluminum.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well I thought I would add something I found when searching around today. I found a site that talks about rotational weight of a car specificly the flywheel here is a a small excerpt and a link.

To show the sort of numbers that a real car might have, I did some calculations based on a car with average gear ratios and tyre sizes - the table below shows the number of Kg of mass that would have to be removed from the chassis to equate to 1 Kg removed from the O/D of the flywheel at a radius of 5 inches.

GEAR MASS KG
1 39
2 12
3 6
4 4
5 3

link: http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/flywheel.htm

·
Registered
135 Posts
So if I get the rps clutch would it be worth while to get their flywheel or go with mwr. There is a 200 dollar difference. Would it matter that much?

·
Registered
19,279 Posts
Originally posted by QTRMLR_1
One I didn't see on the list: how much does the Clutchmasters Aluminum Flywheel weigh for the GTS?
Do they make a flywheel for the 7th gen? I wasn't able to find anything on their website or on an internet search. You have a link?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts