NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hole in my condenser and am replacing it. Because my car would bog down from time to time when I initially started it with the AC on, I figured it would be a good time to replace the compressor as well. A few questions:

- Should I replace anything besides the condenser, dryer, compressor, expansion valve and belt?
- Once I have everything replaced, I plan to take it to a shop to have them flush the system and recharge it properly with a vacuum. Is it OK to have them flush the system with the new parts or should I have it flushed first and then do the work?

Thanks,

Steven

·
Registered
69 Posts
A system flush would need to be performed only on the existing system parts, before installing the new parts. If you are replacing the compressor, condenser, drier, and expansion valve, then the only part to flush other than the low/high side lines would be the evaporator. The expansion valve has to be removed to effectively flush the evaporator anyway.

You are taking the right steps to do the job properly the first time by replacing the key components that need to be and flushing, then evacuating. I've read many threads on other forums how people try to take shortcuts and end up spending more money in the long run when they have a dead a/c system shortly after their first repair attempt.

I went through this with my 300ZX two years ago. The original compressor locked up and I ended up replacing the compressor and drier. I spent $400 on an a/c flush tool because I'm a DIY kind of guy. I spent almost $1000 on this job but have a system that still kicks ass on a 25 year old car. My other major expense was purchasing a new factory compressor, as opposed to a remanufactured one. Nissan had a few remaining brand new compressors and after using a reman compressor on one of my other vehicles and not getting good results, I new brand new was the best choice for a reliable and good performing system.

Here is a great forum to ask a/c questions and read up: http://www.autoacforum.com/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts