NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of a background :

I bought my 2001 Celica GTS Stick Shift from the dealer. One of the selling points being remote start and I loved/love my celica. The alarm system worked from day 1, it is a 2 way remote control that is really convenient.

The remote start didn't work when I bought it. I trusted the owner (who worked at the dealership too!). He told that it is just a matter of connecting the cables and remote start would work. He suggested a guy who did the work.

I then start enjoying my car! I contacted the 'guy' to check the remote start but he says 'next week, I am busy, ...', things like that. In the mean time, I had to take my car in for some routine checkups within the first week and the mechanic somehow decided to disable the alarm system. Alarm stopped working. On asking, they said that alarm is after market and they aren't responsible.

I take this to a compustar dealer to fix the alarm and also Remote Start. They slapped me 2 hours of work (not sure if it really took them so long to figure out the disabled alarm hook...). I asked about remote start and they said, the brain is half dead, so remote start is toast. They told that I needed a new brain for it to work and they quoted $400 for the whole thing! I looked up prices for the brain alone on eBay and they are way below $100. I paid the 2 hours labor ($130) and left. I should have asked for the model of the brain which I have no clue.

Now I am left with no remote start (for the past 3 months since I bought it). If some kind soul here would help me fix the remote start (or confirm if the brain is really half-dead), I would be grateful to you. Not for free, I know your time is valuable.

If I can remote start my lovely car in this cold Jersey weather, I would be a happy camper :) Thanks for reading all the way guys!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I installed a compustar 2W900FM-AS in my Celica years ago... post up what pictures you have - I'll probably be able to identify the model & brain unit.

What is really essential is having a good complete set of wiring diagrams to the car - after that a good understanding of basic electronics and you are set.

The cost they're quoting is for a complete new system + finish troubleshooting your current mess. Compustar discontinued their older style of brain units a while back so to fix anything typically means starting over. Trying to clean up someone elses electrical work is almost always a nightmare.

I think the difference between a remote start compustar vs a non-remote start system at the time was that the remote-start version came with a pre-wired starter relay connected to the brain's wiring harness. The brain unit I think was identical.

Aside: If I had to redo my starter system now I'd get a DEI-based system and avoid compustar if I could.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Also... most people probably don't realise this but they way most shops install car-alarms & starters actually makes the car easier to steal than stock.

Sure the alarm may go off for a little while but basically the alam wiring points out which wire-pairs the thief needs to jump to get the car going.

There is a way to doing the work that hides the alarm and its connections but very few people/places take the time to do it to that level.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I installed a compustar 2W900FM-AS in my Celica years ago... post up what pictures you have - I'll probably be able to identify the model & brain unit.

What is really essential is having a good complete set of wiring diagrams to the car - after that a good understanding of basic electronics and you are set.

The cost they're quoting is for a complete new system + finish troubleshooting your current mess. Compustar discontinued their older style of brain units a while back so to fix anything typically means starting over. Trying to clean up someone elses electrical work is almost always a nightmare.

I think the difference between a remote start compustar vs a non-remote start system at the time was that the remote-start version came with a pre-wired starter relay connected to the brain's wiring harness. The brain unit I think was identical.

Aside: If I had to redo my starter system now I'd get a DEI-based system and avoid compustar if I could.
Thank you so much for the reply! I didn't get a notification of this reply, hence the delay.

I don't know where or how to start with about accessing Compustar brain or installation to provide pictures. I am just too scared to touch something and possibly short it. This is my primary car now.

Can Compustar brain be half-dead at all? Is there something like half-dead? Everything works (alarm and unlock) except for remote start. Is the dealer trying to scam me into buying a new brain and installation from them?

DEI-system - Python? I am leaning towards Drone which will enable iPhone/Android access to my car, that will be cool, like James Bond movies ;)

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Another thing you have to worry about is the shop you have it done at. The more legitimate places don't usually offer installation on a standard because of the people who manage to remote start them in first gear and have their car drive through their garage. It takes a lot of work to do those systems right. Also I'd like to give a +1 to ymboc about other peoples electrical work haha. Always a headache.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
You're problem is that the alarm is a Compustar... Get a Viper.

·
Registered
252 Posts
i have a compustar and it sucks... my battery life on my pager dies every 3 days. just go change it to something else lol... just my 2 cents though!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I don't know where or how to start with about accessing Compustar brain or installation to provide pictures. I am just too scared to touch something and possibly short it. This is my primary car now.
If you're too freightened to even go looking for the brain then you're at the mercy of the install shops in your area and you'll just have to pony up the cash for someone else to fix or redo the install (with a completely new system).

Have any friends who have done this kind of work before? Be aware of my earlier post - most car alarm/starter installs make the car easier to steal.
Another thing you have to worry about is the shop you have it done at. The more legitimate places don't usually offer installation on a standard...
I didn't see him post that it was standard... is it? It complicates the install for sure.

There are ways to fool-proof it and alternatively some systems make you follow a turn-off procedure to let you auto-start a manual in lieu of fool-proofing, but you're looking at a whole lot more trouble either way.

Aside: Some newer cars won't even let you try to start if the clutch isn't depressed - I'm sure that's a real pain to try to work around.
You're problem is that the alarm is a Compustar... Get a Viper.
That's harmful fanyboy BS at its best. I too prefer DEI systems because of some of the (IMO better) design choices they've made but that doesn't mean everything else is crap just because it's not DEI.

The OP's real problem is that a mechanic working on the car somehow damaged or disabled the alarm. The next problem is that the OP has been told it should be trivial to add Auto-Start and now, depending on the state of the install and whether or not car is automatic that may or may not actually be true.

I can't imagine what permanent harm a mechanic could have cause to the alarm, however. I figure its likely just been unplugged or had its fuse pulled. Then again, if the original install was poor its possible you've got a bad/corroded connection somewhere.
i have a compustar and it sucks... my battery life on my pager dies every 3 days. just go change it to something else lol... just my 2 cents though!
See above. My compustar has worked without issue for the six years that it's been installed -- I'm still using the original 2way remote as well.

If I had to guess I'd figure that your problem is that the spring holding the battery has become weak and your battery is making intermittent connection causing the remote to go through its startup jingle and vibration (quickly draining its batteries).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I didn't see him post that it was standard... is it? It complicates the install for sure.
yeah he mentioned it was, i got my compustar put in at my fathers shop and it took our certified tech 5 hours because of it being standard, there alsohad been a alarm system hacked out of it by the previous owner.

weve had compustars in all of our cars for years now and love them. Best part about is the two-way transmitter, where it will tell me if someone broke into my car and wether they did it through the door or the hatch (not that it matters). Also starting my car a mile away is fun too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally put my experience on dealerrater site and the dealership immediately contacted me about the outstanding issues. They want to make me happy or so they said! I told them about the $400 to make the manual remote start work - they offered $100 and I asked for half - so they gave me $200 to get the remote start work.

I am hoping someone here can help me fix this (I am more than willing to pay for your time) or like ymboc suggested - I go with a brand new system. Which one should I choose? Viper? I want to remote start with an iPhone!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No surprise here, Best Buy denied installation of Viper system in a stick shift. The very few times I decide to spend about a grand in this system, the authorized dealer turns me down! If I go with an unauthorized dealer, warranty is void - nice system!

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,358 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you want to work w/what you have: http://www.compustar.com/dealerlocator/
That is what I did and the authorized dealer told me the brain is half dead, hence the remote start didn't work but security/alarm/unlock works.

The previous owner says otherwise. I lost faith on the dealer. They slapped 2 hours of work for a simple disconnected wiring for alarm.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,358 Posts
I lost faith on the dealer. They slapped 2 hours of work for a simple disconnected wiring for alarm.
I'd suggest a different dealer. I rather doubt that 1/2 the brain is dead on an option that was never used. You may be able to identify the model @ Compustar's website.

Remote start on a Manual can be done. But, most places won't do it because of liability. There may be an install on it around here somewhere. LOL

I'm further North than you & I live w/o it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
where in jersey do you live? i got mine installed in philadelphia but i'm not sure how far you are and what they are going to charge you. let me know though through here or a pm so i can give you the number and you can call for a new system. they should give you a discount though cause you do have some of the stuff already installed. i'm sure they won't need to put the basic hood pin and switches and knock sensor and what not. i had a problem in my alarm but it was related to buying after market hids that drained the battery but i resolved it. good luck buddy winter is coming!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts