NewCelica.org Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It's open to the public during special events. It's a track on the NASCAR circuit that was decommissioned last year due to the surface conditions being too dangerous to drive on. So they closed it down for 6 months to remove the entire racing surface, in some spots down to the dirt, and replace/repave it. Opened up in April for a public event. You do sign a waiver, but it's stating that you understand the track rules and won't break them, or you risk accident/injury, and ruining it for everyone else there too. You get 3 laps and they're supervised, paced laps. But if everyone is following the rules, you basically can drive as hard as you want. To put it in perspective, I was between a Focus ST and an Evo X on the track, and was able to outcorner them both. The Evo passed me on the main straight (I let him). It was a blast though seeing what the car can really do when pushed to the limit.

That's me pushing it through the S-turn at about 80mph. I was the only Celica there out of probably 500+ cars, maybe more. It was a huge turnout. Opening weekend next year is the weekend of April 9th. Anyone in the Northeast/Tristate area should find a reason to come up and get a few laps in.

You should tell your wife to push her seat back and adjust the angle of the seat as well. The celica has plenty of room for taller people. My roommate is also over 6 feet tall and has no issues driving my car. :p:
Nice looking car! Doing a few laps would be a blast!
My oldest son (6'4") needs to open the sunroof screen to avoid grinding his head against the roof! Its the long torso...
My middle son needs the seat almost all the way back to fit his legs! At 6'5", he's the tallest in the family...
The lounger description came from my wife with her seat back! I think she's just self-conscience about getting out of a sexy red sports car!

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,238 Posts
Hmm, I'm going to have to review the GT speed to RPM charts. Those km/h seem higher than I would of thought. Nonetheless, the torque dip is somewhere between 3.8k & 4k on a 1ZZ. 110 km/h is the GT-S sweetspot. I would've thought it to be around the same speed for the GT. Friend has a 2ZR-FE Auto & it runs just under 3K at 70MPH. Which seems to be its MPG sweetspot. It actually seems to get better MPG @ 70 MPH than @ 68 MPH.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The shorter shifts certainly make it feel a lot more lively. As far as actual performance gains go, it's probably not much, but just feels better, you know?

As far as fuel economy goes, I wailed on my car with a C56 and I wail on it now with a C60, so I get about the same mileage as before (~550 km per tank, sometimes more, sometimes less). That said, highway driving is a bit better, because the RPMs at 120 sit lower than with the C56. Usually around 3k.

I left the 1ZZ clutch on because I'm planning on eventually doing a 2ZZ swap later, and installing a new clutch for that. I already had a MWR shortshifter installed when I had a C56, so I kept it for the C60, and just got a new knob off of ebay.

I wish I would have just assumed that the 4th & 5th synchros would be bad before dumping the C60 in though, as they have pretty rough grinds while downshifting. Luckily my C56 was in similar condition, so I'm already used to double clutching. Ah well, lesson learned. I'll fix it later.

The swap doesn't take too long if you're familiar with the engine bay. I pulled the engine when I did my swap because it's hard to manhandle the transmission into place, and I also had a few things to fix while it was out (broken water pump bolt, wanted to replace the serpentine belt tensioner). I was able to get everything in and out over a weekend by myself. Some of the pros on here can do it in waaaaaaaaaay less time, but I'm just some guy, not a mechanic.
Wow, you're confirming everything I've assumed. Where did you get your C60? Do you know how much mileage was on it when you installed it? Considering the C60 doesnt have a fantastic record as far as durability is concerned, I suppose if its been run hard, the mileage wouldn't mean much....I have read that 3rd and 4th syncros are weak. How much did your short shifter set you back?

Its good to hear you got it done over a weekend, I'd say thats pretty good if you removed the engine as well! I'm not a mechanic either, but I have done several engine swaps over the years--- my problem is I'm a bit of a perfectionist and when I start replacing things, I sometimes go a few steps beyond necessary... In the case of my 4Runner, it was probably the right thing, as I'm now 2yrs on, and there isn't a single drop of oil on the driveway and it runs like new. When I get in there, I may replace some things too... especially the clutch as its on its last legs.

Again, Thanks for the input!!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Wow, you're confirming everything I've assumed. Where did you get your C60? Do you know how much mileage was on it when you installed it? Considering the C60 doesnt have a fantastic record as far as durability is concerned, I suppose if its been run hard, the mileage wouldn't mean much....I have read that 3rd and 4th syncros are weak. How much did your short shifter set you back?

Its good to hear you got it done over a weekend, I'd say thats pretty good if you removed the engine as well! I'm not a mechanic either, but I have done several engine swaps over the years--- my problem is I'm a bit of a perfectionist and when I start replacing things, I sometimes go a few steps beyond necessary... In the case of my 4Runner, it was probably the right thing, as I'm now 2yrs on, and there isn't a single drop of oil on the driveway and it runs like new. When I get in there, I may replace some things too... especially the clutch as its on its last legs.

Again, Thanks for the input!!
I bought the C60 and 2ZZ from a guy that was scrapping a GT-S. I was planning on rebuilding the 2ZZ, so mileage didn't matter too much. The C60 had about 190,000 km on it, so the gear grinds really aren't surprising.

I got the shortshifter from monkeywrenchracing, and got the 6 speed shift knob on ebay. Probably best to do the clutch while you've got it all out, it certainly would be easiest.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I bought the C60 and 2ZZ from a guy that was scrapping a GT-S. I was planning on rebuilding the 2ZZ, so mileage didn't matter too much. The C60 had about 190,000 km on it, so the gear grinds really aren't surprising.

I got the shortshifter from monkeywrenchracing, and got the 6 speed shift knob on ebay. Probably best to do the clutch while you've got it all out, it certainly would be easiest.
Thanks! Sounds like you got lucky. 190K doesn't seem like a great deal of km's for a vehicle to be scrapped. I don't see many 7th Gen Celicas scrapped, except if they're insurance write-offs - and I must admit, it doesn't take much to junk a 2000-2002! When I was looking for rims for Winter, I came across a 2000 GT that was in reasonably good shape-- it had just been driven in to the wreckers. It was an insurance write off, as it had a hit on the drivers door and front fender. No too bad from what I could see, a bit of a shame!
I'm not sure if MB have as bad rust issues as ONT, and luckily here in Southern BC rust isn't generally a problem-- mine has zero. Good luck with the re-build--- post some pics!! Good luck!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Rust is kind of an issue. Luckily, I've been teaching myself how to fabricate patches, weld them in, and paint them. What a process, though.

And the donor car was probably a write-off. Not too sure, though.

·
Lift kicked in yo
122 Posts
Nice looking car! Doing a few laps would be a blast!
My oldest son (6'4") needs to open the sunroof screen to avoid grinding his head against the roof! Its the long torso...
My middle son needs the seat almost all the way back to fit his legs! At 6'5", he's the tallest in the family...
The lounger description came from my wife with her seat back! I think she's just self-conscience about getting out of a sexy red sports car!
Thanks man. Car isn't much of a looker outside of the wheels. I prefer to put my money where it counts, which is into performace. It was a blast though! Again, highly recommended. It was pretty damn hot out on the track, so if you do ever make it up there, bring plenty of fluids! An ambient air temp of 70 degrees turns into about 90 degrees out on the surface. With all the cars running hard and rubber being burnt, it gets real hot real fast. So keep that in mind.

I'm only 5'4, so I can't speculate on what it's like to drive the car being 6'5. All I know is I fit fine and that's what matters to me :cool:

21 - 27 of 27 Posts