NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Epic 2ZZ NA in progress..
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been doing a bit of research into engine bits for my rebuild, and came across an old discusion on a toyota forum about cross plane cranks on a four pot. Now this has me very interested as the theory is pretty good, and as an engineer i find it fascinating.

What id like to know is if anyone has ever concidered it on their celica engine, specifically the 2ZZGE?

Here was the original discussion i saw:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/8-general-discussion/366342-crossplane-yamaha-cranks.html

I run the Apexi power FC already, which i am pretty sure is able to adjust firing orders and ignition maps realtively easily, so a bit of time designing a custom crank and matching phased cams, and this can bring about a totally different engine characteristic, in terms or power, torque, and noise.

When it comes to my rebuild when i can afford it after the wedding, i will be digging deeper into this option!

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
I think it would make the same power, just be a little smoother. They do cross plane on cycles for the purpose of smooth power delivery but in a car the engine doesn't act on the wheels the same. Maybe would rev more easily? May balance better? Still working with the same displacement, cross plane and stroker maybe?

·
Epic 2ZZ NA in progress..
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the stroker was already in mind. Seen as I will be paying for a custom crank, may as well get it stroked out to 2.0ltr.

I'm looking forward to it, think it will be an interesting project.

Still need to have a word with my tuner and engine builder and get their views at some point.

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,081 Posts
Seems a bit pointless tbh.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts