NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been researching this swap, here is what I have come up with. Someone might want to sticky this if all the info is correct to make it 1000 times easier for the next guy who needs to do it. I have been researching this for the past week and compiled everything into this guide.

1zzfe vvti 1.8 liter Swap Guide

The flagship Toyota 1.8 1zzfe vvti long-block is used in these vehicles:
*00-05 Toyota Celica GT
*99-current Toyota MR-2
*98-current Toyota Corolla (vvti added in 00+ models)
03-current Toyota Matrix 1.8
03-current Pontiac Vibe 1.8

*(The 2003+ 1zzfe vvti long-block in all models was revised to correct oil consumption problems)

Background:
I have picked out a low mileage 2003+ Corolla 1zzfe vvti. It is a known fact that the Toyota Corolla is the number one best selling car worldwide. In comparison, the Toyota Celica is produced in relatively small numbers. The Toyota 1zzfe vvti 1.8 liter motor used in the cars I listed above is the exact same long-block. Since there are such a high number of Corollas and such a low number of Celica produced it makes sense that finding a Corolla 1zzfe vvti is much easier and economical than finding the same from a Celica GT. The horsepower ratings ranges from approximately 126-140hp depending on the model vehicle the engine is in. This power difference is related to the ECU tuning as well as the smaller intake manifold/throttle body used on the more fuel efficient Corolla.

Notes:
With both motors sitting next to each other it will be easy to check that all accessory brackets and pulleys match, if not; swap old to new. All sensors (pigtails) will have already been pulled out of the old motor and left in the engine bay, so any sensors in the new motor should be removed and the old sensors plugged in. The intake manifold/coolant lines on the 03

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
hold on a second here, you are putting a 1zz engine from a corolla into a Celica GT? I don't know about the rest of the people here but if I (and I am speaking for myself only) am going to swap the engine of my GT I wouldn't put another 1zz. I would swap to a 2zz instead. But that's just me.

If I am going to spend the cash on another motor and install labor then I'd rather put something with more power.

but I guess the good thing about this is that you are just swapping the block.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 2zz seems even more unreliable than the 1zz.... we just want to swap in the same 1zzfe motor. I am not even a Toyota guy, let alone a Celica guy. I have been posting on here because I though maybe you guys know more about these cars/motors than I do considering I own a Mitsubishi and an Infiniti, guess I was wrong...

I found all the info I need over at spyderchat. thanks anyways.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have found a lot of knowledgeable people here in all the time I have been here. You may want to try the performance forum or the FI forum. That's where they hand around not here in the general. Usually noobs here.

And yes, the swap should be close to straight forward, and what you have posted sound just about right. About the 2zz being more unreliable than the 1zz, I would still preffer the 2zz over 1zz. But that's just me, I have owned them both.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You got one thing wrong dude. You can't swap a 98 or 99 Corolla 1zzfe engine in the Celica GT because those 2 years they did not have VVT-i. It was just a regular 1zz-fe engine making 120 HP and 122 ft./TQ. How do I know? Because I have one :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey guys

I'm in the proccess of replaceing my 1zzfe "01 celica" motor also, the motor I found is a 1zzfe from an 05 matrix will this work? what will i have to do to swap it, any info will help

thanks

·
Registered
698 Posts
About 4 months ago I did the exact same swap....

05 1zz-fe engine into a 00 toyota celica...

the problems I encountered were minimal..

I got the new engine and the holes for the axle bracket were DRILLED, the engine was from an 05 corolla so im not sure why people say you have to drill the holes when they are already there....

anyway the two problems were that the metal coolant tube running from the water pump to the fire wall didnt have a nipple on it to attach the radiator resivoir to it, I had to switch this with my 00 pipe...

the second problem is that the knock sensor is way different, wont work with the 00 wire harness and the sensor was redesigned so you cant switch out the new to the old.

other than that it was flawless, i have put abtu 10k miles on it with my turbo and running strong, also the oil consumption issue is resolved with is aswsom because i would hate to fill the oil every couple weeks with my 00 engine,.

Anyone having any questions can contact me, i installed the engine myself..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
great thanks for the info. We ran into the knock sensor issue already, but everything is swapping over just fine otherwise. I am not sure if the 05 motor you had was from an auto or manual Corolla, I believe that the manual corollas have the bracket already, where the auto's atleast 00-03 (?) don't have it...

·
OT denied ;(
847 Posts
:faint:

Sent from an ogre in far far away land

·
Daddy Daycare
20,303 Posts
You know...you don't need to bump all the 6 year old threads you find about Corolla 1ZZ swaps. I posted in the other thread you bumped. It is a matter of coincidence if you get one with the threaded holes already. Chances are better with one out of a manual car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2003 Corolla Drivetrain into a 2000 Celica

I am about to attempt this same swap. My son has a 2000 Celica GT, and his grandmother's 2003 Corolla had a tree fall on her car. I snatched the drivetrain last week (engine and tranny, wiring harness, and all peripheral accessories, including the computer).

Thanks for the warning that I'll have to drill the engine boss for the axle bracket, as I see that I will) Can I use the Corolla axles in the Celica, since the track, hub-to-hub, appears to be identical, or will that affect handling? I see that the Corolla axles have a larger OD diameter (which I like, due to the perceived notion that they can handle more power transfer), which surprises me.

My son's car has 170K on the clock and between 150-165PSI on a compression test, and Granny's car only has 86K and between 194-213PSI--hence the desire to swap out the engine. Additionally, the Celica Auto has a final drive of 2.74:1 final drive ratio, to the Corolla's 2.96:1--hence the desire to retain the Corolla transmission, as well, for better launches. I am concerned that while the transmissions are dimensionally the same, they use distinctly different cases, and one of the harness plugs is different. I believe this to be one that controls shift points.

The Celica shifts well, but jerks a little when the torque converter locks up in OD, and while I suppose I could just remove Granny's torque converter and valve body, and install them in the Celica, I want to make sure I am not going to confuse the computer, and break stuff, and with far fewer miles on the Corolla, I prefer a plug-and-play solution.

The OP mentioned slightly larger valves on the Celica head. While I don't doubt that, I have not found evidence to support that claim. My son has a few mods: CAI, DC header, Crower Stage 1 cams, and some mild port work and bowl blending in the combustion chambers, to un-shroud the valves a little. I am not terribly concerned about a slight loss in power, initially, as I can swap out the cams and head later, once everything is switched over, but for now, I'm looking for a smooth swap, and if valves are the same size, I'll just port and polish the Corolla head, and swap in the newish Stage 1 cams at some point in the near future.

Here are my questions:
1) Are the half-shaft axle splines the same between the Corolla and the Celica, so that the Corolla transmission will accept Celica axles?

2) Can I swap out the transmission harness plug (not splice the pigtail, but unbolt the plug itself, though I'll splice if need be) from the Celica to the Corolla's transmission or do I need to grab the valve body and torque converter too, in order to make everything work? Are there any pitfalls to using the Corolla trans that I should be aware of?

Thank you in advance for any helpful information you may be able to provide.

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
you should use the celica axles, you dont have to worry about breaking them. they are strong enough.

as for the trans, i dont see any reason you cant use the corolla trans but you need to use its computer. im sure you will have to do some re-pinning on the harness

1 - 20 of 24 Posts