NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the right side CV Half Shaft assembly on my 2000 Celica GT Manual Transmission, and I'm having trouble identifying the correct part numbers on aftermarket sites. I'm told that the shaft length is different between the Auto and Manual, but most of these sites seem to claim that the parts are interchangeable.

Additionally, I'd like to get a half shaft that has the carrier bearing and bracket already installed, as that would make things a lot easier.

Does anyone have any advice?

I did search the forum, but if I missed a thread that talks about this, feel free to point me in the correct direction.

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know that the 6spd and 5spd manuals both use the same shafts. But the automatic uses different lengths, at least on the right side. Which is the one I need to replace. Many of the online sources seem to list these parts interchangeably, but I know this isn't the case. Which makes it really hard to pick out a part that I know will fit.

What I'm hoping is that someone will be able to recommend a part number that they know works.

I've been looking at rockauto.com, and was looking specifically at the Trackmotive TO-8098, which I think is the correct part, but their listings are confusing at best. And emailing them only caused more confusion.

I liked that Trackmotive part because it's new and not remanufactured, and they show the carrier bearing and bracket installed on the axle. Of course who knows if that photo is actually accurate?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Huh. You're sure? I don't mean to doubt, but in photos I've seen listed a 3/16" difference in shaft length from the end of the splines to the carrier bearing. That seems like enough to cause problems.

I've also got a good friend who owns and autocrosses a GT and a GTS, and also is a professional mechanic. He is the one who told me that the AT shafts aren't interchangeable.

Honestly, if he lived within a few hours of me, I'd just drop the car off with him and pay him to take care of it for me. :)

Can I ask where you purchased your axles?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts