NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
I dunno if rates have changed all that much, but hypers and HDS (when they were still open) both charged me about $100...that was like 5-6 years ago. I believe that's about going rate just about anywhere.

If you got instructions it's not that hard, usually all you need is a spring compressor and Checkers rents those out for like $5 or so. I just installed coilovers on my prelude a couple weeks ago. The only real pain was that I didn't have the tool to break the balljoint for the rear, so I took it to a shop since I didn't wanna buy the tool to do it with.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Going shop rate for springs is about $140-175. I know Speedgear charges more than that sometimes. Hypers usually charges about $175 off the street. If you buy the springs from them, maybe $125-150. I guess it's inflation. :faint:

We'll do it for $125 at Munky Wurks. We used to whore these jobs out cheap tho when we used to do them in my garage before we opened the shop, LOL.

·
Registered
405 Posts
wow it's getting really expensive nowadays. Mitch and I used to do it out of his garage for just 50 bucks a car. haha. those were the good ole days. dropping tools and people, spilling fluids everywhere, taking a cig break whenever thigns got kinda difficult. haaha. I miss those days. btw i won't do it cuz i don't have time and mitch doesn't either. it would be fun to drop another car someday though. just for the hell of it.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Originally posted by Taesup
wow it's getting really expensive nowadays. Mitch and I used to do it out of his garage for just 50 bucks a car. haha. those were the good ole days. dropping tools and people, spilling fluids everywhere, taking a cig break whenever thigns got kinda difficult. haaha. I miss those days. btw i won't do it cuz i don't have time and mitch doesn't either. it would be fun to drop another car someday though. just for the hell of it.
:werd: yep those were the days! I think it's been well over a year since we've had a real install night at Sean's house or mine. I feel pretty bad about the price increase, but we realized that we couldn't have the public find out we were doing Celica spring installs dirt cheap, and then everything else charging twice as much. And now that we have the shop open, all our tools are there and we don't have enough to work on cars at home.

On the flipside, we found out early that the other shops get peeved when they find out another shop is doing super cheap installs... so we kinda had to keep our labor in line with others. Otherwise it makes everyone look bad. Still, we pretty much keep our install prices at the lowest on the island if we can help it.

On the real, according to the labor manual that most certified mechanics use to quote jobs, a complete spring and shock install at a regular repair shop would run you about $350 or so in labor versus the flat rate you typically get from a speed shop. At the dealership, expect even higher because they charge a higher hourly labor rate.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Originally posted by Taesup
Sigh, I do miss those days!! Now a days it's messier things, drop a motor here and there, mess with Brian's insanely complicated TT RX7, ekk.

BTW, we NEED to find you a front bumper ASAP! The cops are going to go ballistic on you if they ever see you drive by them! LOL....

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Originally posted by QWKsilvr808
...and a plane trip to Hawaii! LOL! :gap:
lol forgot about that as well lol. but anyways spring install is super easy with the right tools. takes about 4hrs max(considering you've never touched a suspension before). when i put in my first set of springs i used a install guide from a Super street magazine lol it came out fine. Basic tools you might need.

- Impact wrench(they have electrical plug in ones that work fine)
- Torque wrench
- Basic set of sockets and a socket wrench
- Spring compressor (50bux for a autostore to rent)
and alot of patients with stupid bolts for the rear

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Originally posted by XxNaUgHtYxX
hey... anyonee here wanna install the springs for my carrr?? pleaseee??? i live in calii... 626 area? thx=D
You may do better asking that in the North or South Cali sections ;)

·
Banned
751 Posts
Sure/...fly me up and pay for rooms, food and misc items..ill install them for ya. Or just send me yer car

1 - 20 of 20 Posts