NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so here's my problem, (yes I searched, but couldn't find the answer I was looking for)
anyway when I had my stockies on I noticed a whirring noise coming from the right rear tire, figured no big deal, tire probably worn badly. eventually it got so annoying I switched my wheels and put the volks back on, within 50 miles I noticed the noise again, coming form the same corner, with almost brand new tires ( about 5k on them)

Anyone think its a wheel bearing? Its a whirring kinda whump whump noise, that increases or decreases with the speed.. the car is aligned, tires balanced and the wheels are torqued correctly (installed and checked myself w torque wrench)

i'm thinking a bearing just because the odds of the same noise with 2 different wheels/tires in the same spot is a little suspicious.. thoughts?

·
Registered
236 Posts
yup thats defintly teh wheel bearing mine just went it made a sorta metal clanking sound depending on the speed of the car. It was like $350 :thumbdown

·
Registered
236 Posts
well my car was in an accident and my insurance was paying anyway but than later the bearing went bad and it was quoted for 350 at the body shop but its probally inflated

·
Registered
903 Posts
I replaced mine w/ one from rockauto for like 180... still stupid expensive, but not 350.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Both of my rear wheel bearings went out within 2K miles of one another, somewhere between 55-60K miles. Warranty covered all of it and it is around 350-400 to fix each one This was on my 01 GT. The noise I was hearing got quite loud in the rear. At first I thought it was the performance tires I had on the car, but after having it checked, found it to be the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
419 Posts
lol, sorry to change subjects, but stereo5 is great, i was reading the mods and thinking... damn this guy is bragging about strange things... then i realized he is 52, hes as old as my dad, haha, im 21

anyway a whirring sound? i dont know what kind of sound you are talkign about it could also be shims rubbing against the hub portion of the rotor, ive seen that about 4 different times... one time it was rubbing so bad it was cutitng into the rotor and eventually the hub seperated itself from the rotor

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmm, I'll have to take it to the dealership and see if they'll cover it under warranty.
thanks for the replies guys.
a bad bearing probably isn't good for tire wear either.. DOH

1 - 10 of 10 Posts