NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw quite a few cracks on the resin however the carbon fiber cloth is just fine. My question is: Is it possible to repair it and have it clear coat again so it will be clear and smooth as new?

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
it is possible but VERY difficult. You will need to match the resin in color and measurement. It you add too much mekp the resin will be slightly darker/hazy. To less and the resin will be weak and just crack again. To be honest it isnt worth the hassle

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking more like sanding down the resin then just put a new layer. Oh well..I guess it time to have it color match with my car...

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
well, if you sand it down there will be haze to it. B/c it will have tiny scratches on it. If you get it so smooth, and put a layer on top, it is possible to still see that the hood was messed with. One major reason is that there may be air bubbles when you apply it. It is also very difficult to get the resin even, that is one of the main reasons why bondo it used to fill low spots. Your best bet is to fix the cracks then paint it. If you really want to try that on your hood pm me and Ill give you a more detailed explaination.

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
this is what happened to my friends cf hood. We just taped up the center area and painted it when we painted the whole car.

Its good to know that taking off all the resin wouldn't have worked out right because that was gonna be a LOT of work.

hope it all turns out good for ya

1 - 5 of 5 Posts