NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO i tackled the springs this morning. I got everything off except for the end link (??) The thing that attatches the sway bar to the strut. Anyways....i F^$#ed up and now i can't tighten it back together and it is loose and when i drive it is banging around and making loud noises and i don't know what to do!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:::::::::::CORRECTION:::::::::
the piece i mesed up is the stabalizer bar link! it is rattling all over the place. AND I HAVE TO DRIVE it and i am afraid it is going to break.

ANY thoughts???

PLEASE HELP!!!!

·
Registered
464 Posts
did you remove the "stabalizer bar link" from the front strut? or is it still attached to the strut?

if it's removed and you need to reattached it to the stut, you'll need 2 jacks. 1 to lift the front up and 1 to lift the "A" arm to a height that can align the "stabalizer bar link".

if the "stabalizer bar link" is damaged, you'll need to replace it.

if you're trying to remove the "stabalizer bar link" and can't quite get it loose, use some wd40.

pm me if you need more info.
dchan8

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
My68Spit said:
:::::::::::CORRECTION:::::::::
the piece i mesed up is the stabalizer bar link! it is rattling all over the place. AND I HAVE TO DRIVE it and i am afraid it is going to break.

ANY thoughts???

PLEASE HELP!!!!
Don't panic.... As long is one side is OK just remove the bad arm and order a new one.

note: the connected side will keep the sway bar from flopping around

·
Registered
378 Posts
Jason at Hypermotive sells adjustable endlinks for $130 a set of 4.

If you dropped the car, these will allow for re-establishing the correct geometry of the sway bars. It also allows for some fine tuning to get that rear rotation vs. plow balance we all hope to achieve. :0

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PROBLEM RECTIFIED! After i rigged up the link so that it wouldn't bang around every time i went over a bump last night it did ok for todays necessary driving. But this afternoon i jacked the car back up to see what i could do. Low and behold i figured a way to get around using the allen wrench. I just tossed a vise-grip on the back side of where the end link attatches to the strut and went nuts with a 14mm wrench. Beauty. SO i got the strut off and got the new springs on both fronts. Now i am working on the back...damn that bolt at the bottom of the shock is REDICULOUSLY tight! I tried the impact drill to no avail. So i am soaking those nuts and bolts in liquid wrench overnight and i will try again tomorrow morning.
Any suggestions on the rears?
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
For those tight bolts get a 12" long hollow metal tube. Put it around the end of the ratched or wrench and just turn. Breaks em loose like butter.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well...i wish it was that easy. i tried everyhting today short of cutting the damn thing off! I used the impact wrench...nothing. I tried the ratchet with a 1ft breaker bar and a 2ft breaker bar....nothing. I tried heating it up and then using the impact wrench...nothing. I tried heating it and using the breaker bar...nothing. AAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGG!! i am taking it in to a Merlins to have them try to break it loose and then tighten it back up so that i can get hom e and take it off again.

boo
More updates later.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Make sure you are trying to loosen the bolt and not the nut. The nut mates up with some raised ridges which prevent it from turning easily. If you try to loosen the bolt you'll have MUCH better luck rather than trying to turn the nut against the ridges. As a side note I still had to put a three foot pipe on my 18" breaker bar to break them loose.

·
Registered
936 Posts
This same thing happened to me. It turns out i was trying to loosen the wrong thing. Loosen the other side. I was trying to loosen the bolt but I was supposed to loosen the nut instead. Try that. It's not because its too tight...it's because youre trying to loosen the wrong thing.

·
Registered
290 Posts
man i must be stronger then i thought i was, i loosened mine with just a 12" long 1/2 drive breaker bar lol.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also take into consideration that mine is a 2000 with over 61k miles. I live in Illinois where the streets get nice and salty in the winter and the undercarriage is all nice and rusty. Everything tends to be a little bit tougher to get apart than normal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
yea, that rear bolt is a b1tch! snaped the little piece on the end of my ratchet that has that little ballbearing stickin out, then, with a intact rachet made an attempt on the bolt end and no problem, should have tried that first.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts