NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on this for a while now, slow progress... but finally I have enough done that I thought some pics were in order:

Here's the old throttle plate on top pf the new throttle plate, gives you an idea of how much area was gained:

We bored it out roughly 17.7% larger. I don't have the exact before and after figures on me now, but we bored it out enough to leave 1/16" of throttle body at the thinnest point, hopefully that'll be enough. ;)

Now all I have to do is re-assemble the darn thing properly... hopefully it all works well when everything is said and done. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
well I trust you'll keep us updated as this thing progresses...good work! Looks like you cleared up plenty of room!

·
Registered
903 Posts
how much gains from this?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
TRDAzNSpEeDeR said:
He doesn't even have it on the car yet.

·
Registered
903 Posts
so youre saying hes prolly the first to do this?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
you think it could be a good gain if some one made a nice IM for our cars to go along with a better TB?

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
I think the TB ranorak and maxbore does was a proven 6-7 hp to the wheels. They havent come out with any aftermarket IN and TB b/c it is already good in design, so why tinker with it... Prime example would be the header, a ported stock header gets better gains than aftermarket....

Hey silver, I have a few questions. pmd ya

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
blitzceli said:
I think the TB ranorak and maxbore does was a proven 6-7 hp to the wheels. They havent come out with any aftermarket IN and TB b/c it is already good in design, so why tinker with it... Prime example would be the header, a ported stock header gets better gains than aftermarket....

I thought RR said they were working on a IM and big bore TB?

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Pulsar1 said:
I thought RR said they were working on a IM and big bore TB?
I didnt know they were making a replacement. I know they port stock...News to me, Im interested to see a comparison of ported vs their replacement. Should be good.

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
yeah what happend to ragnorak? They came on here got our hopes up about all these products and I haven't heard from them in forever.

I know the bigger TB and cams were replaced....but I still like the mwr cams better, and its looking like this might be the easier route than paying 375 to RR for something that maxbore does for 100.00, or as this thread points out...you can do it yourself.

What is your materials list and tools list for doing this project?

Are you reusing the stock throttle plate mounts just with a newer brass plate while dremeling down the insides? Is that pretty much the process?

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TRlPPlN said:
hhmmm, is this going to be a paid service once you test this and have proven gains?
I'm toying with the idea... all depends on demand I guess.

vip09 said:
TRDAzNSpEeDeR said:
He doesn't even have it on the car yet.
And you know what? Even when I do install it, I have no plans to do before and after dyno runs.... sorry guys. I will, however, provide a full butt-dyno report. ;)

blitzceli said:
Replied. :thumbup:

vegeta4ss said:
as this thread points out...you can do it yourself.

What is your materials list and tools list for doing this project?

Are you reusing the stock throttle plate mounts just with a newer brass plate while dremeling down the insides? Is that pretty much the process?
This can be done yourself, as long as you have acess to a CNC milling machine.
There's no way in hell you'd be able to do a good job of boring out the TB with a dremel. In order for it to come out a true circle you need to mill it. From there the throttle plate needs to be accuratley cut to be a slight oval, that's why it closes at a slight angle. Both of these things cannot be done by hand (granted you need hand file the throttle plate down for it to seal up right), computer controlled milling machines are the only way to go. Thankfully the throttle plate shaft does not need to be modified to accomidate the wider throttle plate.

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh, and I compared the diameter of the old throttle plate vs the new throttle plate (in the middle where the throttle shaft goes so it's a true throttle diameter) and we went from 54.1mm to 58.7mm, 4.6mm increase.

Area wise we went from 2298.6mm^2 to 2706.2mm^2, gaining roughly 408mm^2. :thumbup:

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
thank you slv3rbullet. I guess my buddy's shop is going to get my tb dropped off soon....I just need to find an extra one, so i dont have to take my car down to do this....b/c it looks like it took you a while.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts