NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my friend wants an exhaust! he got a 2002 gts btw. So i told him y not get a custom exhaust with 2.5 piping from a muffler shop and get a muffler like a n1, 5zigen, or a tanabe! My question is how many of you out there have custom exhaust and does it give as much hp as it would a trd? its it tat much better getting a trd?

·
Registered
486 Posts
i had a custom n1 exhaust with a 2.5 piping from the shop.. i had them add a flange so it was a bolt on axel back exhaust... it was too loud didnt really feel too much power increase..

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I would assume a custom non-crush bent exhaust system (essentially a pipe with a muffler) would result in the highest peak horsepower. That is based on the kazuma's existence (its a straight pipe with an in-line resonator. Also, a reason why Veilside and Trial's exhausts are just a curved pipe with a muffler at the tip (well their's are titanium so its lighter). So if one were to create an exhuast using those japanese exhuasts as a model (in terms of how its piped) and lead to a canister (straight through) muffler, it should create high HP numbers. But then the driver would be sacrificing quietness for power.

·
Banned
751 Posts
I have Mandrel bent 2.5 piping from the cat back w/ a Veilside titanium exhaust. It is damn loud. I did get a increase in power from the change. I previously had the Thermal R&D crap. What a piece of **** it was, i think i actually lost power with that exhaust.

Oh and it is pretty damn loud. I have to be careful or i set off alarms just starting my car!! Even the guys that did the piping said it was freakin loud.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Itzdavidx said:
i had a custom n1 exhaust with a 2.5 piping from the shop.. i had them add a flange so it was a bolt on axel back exhaust... it was too loud didnt really feel too much power increase..
i'm interested in gettin a custom axl back. did u have crush bent or mandrel piping? were there lotsa bends in the piping or not? and was it much louder than the axl back systems u can buy, like tanabe or trd?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
THERE IS NO MANDREL BENDING SHOP IN BAY AREA, and therefore DO NOT GET CUSTOM PIPING. From personal experience, you lose a lot of power, especially torque in the low end, and it is loud as a mother --------. It's a total waste of money. Reason is because there is no main muffler and no R&D ever goes into custom piping as with TRD, Greddy, HKS (I mean can you imagine those muffler shop people just sitting there thinking what kind of piping and muffler will give highest power, NOT).

Now I have the TRD and it just sounds deep and smooth as heck. Also the power difference in HP and Tq across the entire powerband between TRD and custom piping is like night-and-day. Trust me do not go the custom route and spend more money on a quality built aftermarket exhaust system. BTW, I had a Apexi canister on mine.

·
Registered
486 Posts
i had crushed bent

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
KSilver2000 said:
THERE IS NO MANDREL BENDING SHOP IN BAY AREA, and therefore DO NOT GET CUSTOM PIPING. From personal experience, you lose a lot of power, especially torque in the low end, and it is loud as a mother --------. It's a total waste of money. Reason is because there is no main muffler and no R&D ever goes into custom piping as with TRD, Greddy, HKS (I mean can you imagine those muffler shop people just sitting there thinking what kind of piping and muffler will give highest power, NOT).

Now I have the TRD and it just sounds deep and smooth as heck. Also the power difference in HP and Tq across the entire powerband between TRD and custom piping is like night-and-day. Trust me do not go the custom route and spend more money on a quality built aftermarket exhaust system. BTW, I had a Apexi canister on mine.
there are a couple of mandrel bending shop in the sacramento area. Its not a total waste of money...yes TRD, Greddy, HKS, etc cost an arm and a leg but it sacraficies performance by catering both performance and comfort. A custom exhaust that goes straight back will always give more power than an exhaust that has to go through a muffer and then out. Going through a muffer restricts the air from going out. Yes its loud but if you want performance and don't mind the loudness then go with straight pipe. It is proven that straight pipe gives you more HP compare to TRD, Greddy, etc...You're right that it does lose low end power somewhat but it makes up for it up top greatly. :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Reason y i think custom is better then a trd!

Look at the one i mod a little it has less air travel so it will end out faster! Im pretty sure making the pipe short as possible leading to the muffler will give u more power, off course i would rather run off headers,but tat would be way too loud and way too illegal on the streets!

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Actually there is a mandrel bender place in the bay area... its in Concord "Mel and Sons" according to another Celica owner (who got custom pipes to an apexi turbo muffler).

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Yes our cars are made to be raced at the high RPM, but for daily driving, that custom straight pipe is not a great idea because of the sound and loss of low end torque without FI. I mean how often do you race to need straight pipe. I can't imagine someone going to go do some grocery shopping or go to school and everytime you drive you try to race someone. Daily driving needs low end torque IMO. But I guess if you like to substitute those two for the high end hp, it is a good idea, but I don't like it that way. Just my .02.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
KSilver2000 said:
Yes our cars are made to be raced at the high RPM, but for daily driving, that custom straight pipe is not a great idea because of the sound and loss of low end torque without FI. I mean how often do you race to need straight pipe. I can't imagine someone going to go do some grocery shopping or go to school and everytime you drive you try to race someone. Daily driving needs low end torque IMO. But I guess if you like to substitute those two for the high end hp, it is a good idea, but I don't like it that way. Just my .02.
one word " Silencer"! the N1, tanabe, and the 5zigen which the most popular brands or styles of mufflers and is most likey the brand you are gonna get comes wit a attachable silencer!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Just get hotshot headers and unbolt your exhaust when you're going to race. Otherwise, leave the stock on there. The headers will make it a little bit louder, you'll save $500, and still have more power when you want to race.

Of course that's assuming that you're going to the track to race. If you need something for daily driving... eh, TRD is good, custom is going to be REALLY loud unless you get a resonator in line with your muffler. And like KSilver said, don't get 2.5" pipe unless you're going FI or something...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
is tat with or without the silencer?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
The silencer makes a difference but not by that much when you have a custom pipe. It is still very loud. And if you still think that it is better to not have that big muffler there, just look at the dyno charts below that was done by Turbo magazine of all the available exhausts for the celica and tell me which one performs better overall in the entire RPM range, the TRD or Veilside (which is a Titanium exhaust piped just like you would want it without the muffler). Like I said, custom is not the good way to go without FI. Thank you.

Here is Veilside:

And here is TRD:

And here is the link to all the other dynos of other exhausts...http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0209tur_exhaust/

There is no other exhaust availabe, even custom, that outperforms TRD in any RPM for N/A cars.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts