NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, debating on whether or not to go through with this, so I thought I'd ask you guys...the setup would include:

*C-1 Procharger
*Intercooler
*Custom Piping
*Custom Super-Charger bracket
*Bosch surge/bypass system
*Apexi PFC/Commander
*255lph fuel pump
*550 cc fuel injectors

if I don't do this then I'm going to go for the Stage 1 C2 kit, but I'll have to tune and run it off the e-manage for a while (eg I'm afraid of low numbers and/or a bad tune)....any comments/advice on the procharger kit? I would be running it at 10 psi so I was hoping I'd be able to achieve somewhere in the 260-280 power range... lemme know
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,943 Posts
Shizuma said:
forgot to mention colder spark plugs too
I was about to say that 10psi is quite a lot for a stock engine, but then I read your sig! ;)

What compression ratio are you running with those pistons of yours?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,943 Posts
How easy are those procharger s/c's to service - it looks like they need an oil change every 6,000 miles, which might get tedious...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,634 Posts
You might want to look at Vortech, their superchargers have been less troublesome in my experience. The ATI oil change can be a real pain depending on where you mount it.

Mounting and driving the supercharger will be the biggest challenge.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gravel said:
I was about to say that 10psi is quite a lot for a stock engine, but then I read your sig! ;)

What compression ratio are you running with those pistons of yours?

Pistons are stock compression *sigh*
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
monkeywrench said:
You might want to look at Vortech, their superchargers have been less troublesome in my experience. The ATI oil change can be a real pain depending on where you mount it.

Mounting and driving the supercharger will be the biggest challenge.

Yea, the reason I was even looking into this was because the Procharger was a Paxton Centrifugal design which is more efficient and hopefully would therefore yield a higher output than the supercharger kits on the market right now....lol I knew as soon as I read that it took its own oil and that it had to be serviced that that would be a pain in the ass, tho I'm pretty sure the way I mount it, it won't be too much trouble (I really don't care as long as I can hit my power goal), and I've got a friend of mine that will custom make the mounting bracket for me.....my biggest concerns are whether or not I'm going to be able to make 260-280 WHP with a supercharger and whether or not I'm going to bend my valves if I run it at 10psi (don't remember where I heard that, just remember hearing it)...I know it would probably be easier to just get the C2 kit, but if I did I would have to tune it with the e-manage it comes with for a while (due to lack of funds) whereas with the supercharger I'd have the Apexi PFC and would only have to get it tuned once (as opposed to tuning the e-manage, switching to the PFC and having to et it tuned again).....I'm kind of stuck here lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
Well the C2 kit is probably going to be the easy way to go. I'm thinking building a custom supercharger kit is going to be a little more complicated and cost more money then you think. Unless you have already checked up on price of everything + custom fabrication. If it was me I would save up for the PFC and get the C2 kit. Also remember you can sell the e-manage once you get the PFC.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
black02gt said:
Well the C2 kit is probably going to be the easy way to go. I'm thinking building a custom supercharger kit is going to be a little more complicated and cost more money then you think. Unless you have already checked up on price of everything + custom fabrication. If it was me I would save up for the PFC and get the C2 kit. Also remember you can sell the e-manage once you get the PFC.
Yea, I've already checked up on everything, the fab work would be next to free, I would just have to get some scrap steel to make some brackets, the only thing I don't know how much would cost would be the tuning...is there any way I can transfer the tune from the e-manage to the PFC? Also, would using an e-manage ultimate instead of the PFC be a good option for the either of these setups? What makes the PFC better than the e-manage or ultimate? I know it is, I just don't know why...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,943 Posts
Shizuma said:
Yea, I've already checked up on everything, the fab work would be next to free, I would just have to get some scrap steel to make some brackets, the only thing I don't know how much would cost would be the tuning...is there any way I can transfer the tune from the e-manage to the PFC? Also, would using an e-manage ultimate instead of the PFC be a good option for the either of these setups? What makes the PFC better than the e-manage or ultimate? I know it is, I just don't know why...
The mounting bracket is the critical mechanical part of your supercharger install - don't scrimp on it!

The eManage Ultimate can't tune your VVT and it is a piggyback, so the stock ECU will be interacting with it during closed loop at least. I would have thought that the PFC will take more tuning and the maps can't be ported from one to the other.

I think celicauk has already done 300 BHP with a supercharger, so you won't be the first, but it is possible - please see the sticky at the top of this forum :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gravel said:
The mounting bracket is the critical mechanical part of your supercharger install - don't scrimp on it!

The eManage Ultimate can't tune your VVT and it is a piggyback, so the stock ECU will be interacting with it during closed loop at least. I would have thought that the PFC will take more tuning and the maps can't be ported from one to the other.

I think celicauk has already done 300 BHP with a supercharger, so you won't be the first, but it is possible - please see the sticky at the top of this forum :)
I trust the guy that's doing this for me, he's the same guy who installed my internals, and drives around in an FD with an LS1 in it....anywayz, so does that mean that the Ultimate would really only be 100% effective at full throttle?...any other little things I should be aware of?....yea I saw celicauk's post...that's pretty much what started this whole thing...o yea and I saw yours too.... :) jesus lol...how much hp did making that custom intake give you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,935 Posts
if you could do the fab work to make your own supercharger setup, why not just make your on turbo setup with the parts you want. PFC, ect.

about the ultimate and blue e-manage it works but on closed loop you can only tune for 14.7 a/f or the stock ecu will try to correct for it.

If it was me I would:

GT28RS
Neukin Manifold
Custom intercooler piping and downpipe etc
Precision intercooler (31.5x8x3.5 )
Tial BOV (or any of your liking at this pressure most of them wont leak the point is to prevent surge)
Power FC (Hydra if you dont mind not having a gauge for water temp)
650cc injectors
warlbor 255 hp fuel pump

With the correct tuning you will have nice torque curve and be on the 300+hp

Just my two cents :eatpop:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Black_TRD said:
if you could do the fab work to make your own supercharger setup, why not just make your on turbo setup with the parts you want. PFC, ect.

about the ultimate and blue e-manage it works but on closed loop you can only tune for 14.7 a/f or the stock ecu will try to correct for it.

If it was me I would:

GT28RS
Neukin Manifold
Custom intercooler piping and downpipe etc
Precision intercooler (31.5x8x3.5 )
Tial BOV (or any of your liking at this pressure most of them wont leak the point is to prevent surge)
Power FC (Hydra if you dont mind not having a gauge for water temp)
650cc injectors
warlbor 255 hp fuel pump

With the correct tuning you will have nice torque curve and be on the 300+hp

Just my two cents :eatpop:

^^Michael would kill me if I told him I needed all that fabbed instead of just a couple of brackets...no, if this custom kit doesn't swing right then I'm probably going to just get the C2 kit and upgrade the ECU down the road...that would be a nice setup though :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,943 Posts
Shizuma said:
I trust the guy that's doing this for me, he's the same guy who installed my internals, and drives around in an FD with an LS1 in it....anywayz, so does that mean that the Ultimate would really only be 100% effective at full throttle?...any other little things I should be aware of?....yea I saw celicauk's post...that's pretty much what started this whole thing...o yea and I saw yours too.... :) jesus lol...how much hp did making that custom intake give you?
I don't have anything custom - mine's all off the shelf, and not nearly as powerful as I'd like!

Tuned properly the Ultimate is fantastic - the only problem I had was a lean idle and I just never got round to having that fixed before I took it all apart and broke something :(

I think the PFC has the potential to unlock more power though - Toyota tuned their VVT for economy and the PFC lets you tweak it for more power as far as I understand it.

TBH, I would think that a custom supercharger install is easier than a turbo - the inlet manifold is on the front and so easy to get to, and all you really need to fabricate is a mounting plate or two - everything else can be bought off the shelf. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
basically it's like this:

Supercharger-probably lower hp, better computer, no base tune, less complex

Turbo-higher hp, stinkin e-manage, base tune, everything bolts on

I don't know whether to go for the better computer or the higher hp lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,943 Posts
Shizuma said:
^^Michael would kill me if I told him I needed all that fabbed instead of just a couple of brackets...no, if this custom kit doesn't swing right then I'm probably going to just get the C2 kit and upgrade the ECU down the road...that would be a nice setup though :)
:werd: Why would anyone build their own turbo kit for 300HP when there are off the shelf kits that will do it with a little tweaking?

Supercharger kits are simpler IMHO and just a little bit different :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,943 Posts
Shizuma said:
basically it's like this:

Supercharger-probably lower hp, better computer, no base tune, less complex

Turbo-higher hp, stinkin e-manage, base tune, everything bolts on

I don't know whether to go for the better computer or the higher hp lol
Eh? You can have an eManage or PFC with either a turbo or supercharger - how full is your wallet? :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gravel said:
I don't have anything custom - mine's all off the shelf, and not nearly as powerful as I'd like!

Tuned properly the Ultimate is fantastic - the only problem I had was a lean idle and I just never got round to having that fixed before I took it all apart and broke something :(

I think the PFC has the potential to unlock more power though - Toyota tuned their VVT for economy and the PFC lets you tweak it for more power as far as I understand it.

TBH, I would think that a custom supercharger install is easier than a turbo - the inlet manifold is on the front and so easy to get to, and all you really need to fabricate is a mounting plate or two - everything else can be bought off the shelf. :)

o srry, musta had the wrong guy...does the ultimate have the same problem about the a/f ratio that the emanage blue has?....and yea I was thinking it would be easier too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,935 Posts
Shizuma said:
^^Michael would kill me if I told him I needed all that fabbed instead of just a couple of brackets...no, if this custom kit doesn't swing right then I'm probably going to just get the C2 kit and upgrade the ECU down the road...that would be a nice setup though :)
Only custom work in top of the supercharger setup you posted above is the downpipe/exhaust and oil lines that are very simple to do. And you would not have to make the superchargerplate and worry about the belt not lining up correctly. :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
Black_TRD said:
if you could do the fab work to make your own supercharger setup, why not just make your on turbo setup with the parts you want. PFC, ect.

about the ultimate and blue e-manage it works but on closed loop you can only tune for 14.7 a/f or the stock ecu will try to correct for it.

If it was me I would:

GT28RS
Neukin Manifold
Custom intercooler piping and downpipe etc
Precision intercooler (31.5x8x3.5 )
Tial BOV (or any of your liking at this pressure most of them wont leak the point is to prevent surge)
Power FC (Hydra if you dont mind not having a gauge for water temp)
650cc injectors
warlbor 255 hp fuel pump

With the correct tuning you will have nice torque curve and be on the 300+hp

Just my two cents :eatpop:
might want to think about getting a wide band o2, a boost controller, and a wastegate. not to mention some gauges that would come in handy like egt and boost gauge.

too build your own turbo kit right, you are looking at like 5k...

neukin makes a downpipe to go with the manifold.
 
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Top