NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I looked through the search function and didn't find a whole lot about this other then people identifying the problem for others.

I have my car in the shop right now to get the driver side cv joint repaired, mine began making some noise in june, stopped for awhile then started making noise when only turning, then quieted down, and recently started making a more grinding/clicking noise.

Anyways.. the problem is that it was going to cost me $330 for the rebuild, however the shop can't find anyone who carries a rebuild kit for an ABS equiped celica. They said they can get a new one from the dealer but it will double my cost up to $610 as the new cv joint is much more expensive through the dealer. They also said they could take the axle off and send it to a rebuild shop, but the places they contacted did not have the parts needed for it. He said they are awaiting a call back from 2 places on possibly getting the rebuild kit.

Has anyone else run into this problem? and what did you do? I find it hard to believe not a single place carries a rebuild kit for an ABS equiped celica, they have them for non ABS. I'm really at a fork in the road, i'm driving my car 2600 miles next month to move and I have to get this done, but i'm on a tight budget as I have to get new tires as well.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
J2KGTS6 said:
Now I looked through the search function and didn't find a whole lot about this other then people identifying the problem for others.

I have my car in the shop right now to get the driver side cv joint repaired, mine began making some noise in june, stopped for awhile then started making noise when only turning, then quieted down, and recently started making a more grinding/clicking noise.

Anyways.. the problem is that it was going to cost me $330 for the rebuild, however the shop can't find anyone who carries a rebuild kit for an ABS equiped celica. They said they can get a new one from the dealer but it will double my cost up to $610 as the new cv joint is much more expensive through the dealer. They also said they could take the axle off and send it to a rebuild shop, but the places they contacted did not have the parts needed for it. He said they are awaiting a call back from 2 places on possibly getting the rebuild kit.

Has anyone else run into this problem? and what did you do? I find it hard to believe not a single place carries a rebuild kit for an ABS equiped celica, they have them for non ABS. I'm really at a fork in the road, i'm driving my car 2600 miles next month to move and I have to get this done, but i'm on a tight budget as I have to get new tires as well.

Any info is greatly appreciated.
I put a set of complete new front driveshafts on my Altrac a couple months ago - new shafts come with new CVs n both ends, and rebuilds don't usually last as long, so there are definitely points in favor of going new. Try calling Draper and see what he can get you the axle or CV joint for - might be a better price.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Boosted2.0
I put a set of complete new front driveshafts on my Altrac a couple months ago - new shafts come with new CVs n both ends, and rebuilds don't usually last as long, so there are definitely points in favor of going new. Try calling Draper and see what he can get you the axle or CV joint for - might be a better price.
thanks for the response, however i told them to go ahead and order from the dealer. I had no other choice, it has to get fixed and the guy spent a lot of time trying to locate the rebuild for me. oh wells.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts