NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed a D-COM Earthing kit from a company called M2 Hanbai -- the same kit used on C-ONE's Celica. I brought one in from Japan for a customer of ours that wanted a set, and he liked it so I figured I'd give it a try and ordered a set for myself.

I installed it yesterday. I had to reset the ECU during the install so I won't give you an initial impression, since the car always seems to run stronger after an ECU reset.

This kit has four grounding wires, and one that grounds itself to the battery. It also uses a central grounding plate to which all the wires are connected to (i.e. HKS Circle Earth), so this is unlike Happies or Sun Auto's Hyperground kit which uses a daisy chain setup.

I was just looking for opinions on the grounding points I should use... I already did the install, but I'm thinking about going over it again. I grounded the trans, head, alternator, and the chassis on the passenger side of the car - taking some instruction from the install guide for a Celica-specific ground kit at http://www.teamcelica.com/tech/installs/groundwire/. I've used that guide to install a Tuned Innovations kit previously on another Celica.

However, the manual that came with this kit actually instructs to ground the valve cover, head, intake manifold, and chassis. Bear in mind, this is a universal kit with instructions not optimized for use specifically on the Celica. What I'm trying to figure out is whether it's better to keep the grounds connected to the alternator and trans, or to swap those to the valve cover and intake manifold as suggested per the instructions that come with the kit.

Any thoughts or opinions on why I should do one or the other?

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Grounding the valve cover is pretty much useless, since nothing electrical is actually contacts it, and it's separated from the head's flow of electricity by its gasket. Grounding the intake manifold may give a bit more power to the IAC, but that's about it. Your grounds are fine, and the alternator line should make the biggest difference.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Blue Bomber
Grounding the valve cover is pretty much useless, since nothing electrical is actually contacts it, and it's separated from the flow of electricity by its gasket. Grounding the intake manifold may give a bit more power to the IAC, but that's about it. Your grounds are fine, and the alternator line should make the biggest difference.
I hear what you're saying about the valve cover, but my Honda had a OEM ground strap from the valve cover to the chassis that was pretty essential... but this seems to be absent from Toyota's engines. Therefore I assumed there's no use for one, much less an aftermarket wire?

Do you think I should ground the intake rather than the trans perhaps?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I see that you still have the stock wire in place. That wire runs to the tranny w/ a stop on the chassis. So, I'd say leave them where they're at, except for maybe the tranny one. You will not notice a difference by changing anything else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts