NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to get home last night and had to drive through high water and my car cut off right before I got out of it.... anybody have any suggestions as to what coulda made it turn off and why it wouldn't restart??? It feels like the ignition's working but it doesn't wanna turn over.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I do, so what do I do? let the car sit and dry out?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
and I thought I was pissed when my car had JUST come out of the body shop and it started raining. All over my beautiful new paint! But hydrolocking is a much worse thing. Ouch.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
in order to hydrolock your motor your intake filter has to be completely submerged in water

·
Registered
386 Posts
Since its been raining here lately, ive been sucking water into my CAI, but its not enough to make my car not start. It would cut off and when i restarted it the rev meter would jump from .5 to 1 RPM, after a couple of revs it would be fine. switching to a Short ram i did, and im fine. But if you can't get you're car to start after it cuts off is a serious problem...

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SH*T in a bag and punch it!!!! Its up at the shopright now so hopefully the bad news isn't terrible. And I just got my LEDs from Dooly!!! Guess it'll have to wait.

·
Registered
308 Posts
you'll be able to tell if it's hydrolocked. it makes a gurgling noise when you try to turn the engine on.

off topic : we had a hurricane? guess it didn't come near me :p

i don't watch the weather channel :chuckles:

·
Registered
275 Posts
BHam00GT-S said:
in order to hydrolock your motor your intake filter has to be completely submerged in water

well, he did say that he was driving through high water.

anyways, I did the same thing from where I was at too. in 29 Palms, it really flash floods there even if it hardly rains for more than 15 minutes. anyways, I needed to get back home and I took the risk of driving through the floods. I sucked up about 2 cups of water into my intake. lucky for me, the way that Injen designed their intake, it was able to trap all the water at the lower bend of the pipe. the only thing that tripped off was my air sensor and I couldn't rev over 4000 rpm. after that, I just took of my intake and poured out all of the water and my car ran fine after that.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
yea the south can suck at times but what hurricane ? we have only had daily rain which is a bitch. my car was officially clean for 1 hour then damn rain and damn work so i had to drive in it :(

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good news... engine didn't lock up, bad news... there's a rod broken somewhere cuz the engine knocking .... Another 3 months without a car, guess I'll deal, :angry:

·
Registered
498 Posts
this IS WHY I WILL NEVER BUY THE CAI

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
sorry to hear that man....hope your car is get better fast....heheh. Yea man its been raining in a while here in VA. Sorry i couldnt reply sooner, i was in Toronto in the past week. If you still have my cell hit me up if not PM and ill give it to you.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Well dont let that stop you getting one. Its rarely that locking occur in celicas. I mean for your intake to be sucking in that much water you must've submerge or hit a big, deep puddle. I have a CAI in my celica and never had any problem with it and i live in his area. And i have never knew any celica driver who had problems with their CAI. Just drive carefully and watch wear your driving. Here in VA, the roads are not the best. Theres big puddles and potholes everywhere. And when it rains, like for the last week, the water from lakes and rivers would over flow and get onto the roads, flooding it. But like i said where the CAI is placed in the engine bay is really hard to hydro-lock your car.

BayouDealer said:
this IS WHY I WILL NEVER BUY THE CAI

1 - 19 of 19 Posts