NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GOAL: Have tails that are: 1st unique and individual; 2nd that are black and chrome to accent the rims; 3rd are not just APC crap tails ;)

Ok so i had the whole 03+ black with dooly led tail project going. Unfortunatly my donor tyc GM tails lense would not fit. i did not want the pink lense on it so that project has been scrapped. if u want the 03+ tails i was working on check FS section and make offer ;)

We'll i figured why let good tyc GM tails go to waste. So i stripped the GM paint off down to the chrome undercoat. Masked off the rings and painted it all glossy black then clearcoated. I had a set of red brake bulbs laying around so i removed the red brake and red turn lenses. I left the4 2 small red reflectors in for some legality. I dont feel like getting pulled for not having enough red reflect in the tail :) Slapped it all back together, used some black glue stuff that topshop sent for the door inserts and i was done.

I had wanted to do this style tyc a long while ago but was unable to get a set of GM tails (all version 2, which most out there are will not come apart with heating. thats why the tyc tail painter guy stoped doing it. but GM tails are version 1) So i am very happy with the result. I am now finally free to the APC tails that came stock.

Disclaimer: I dont care if u dont like them. Most of u know, I do what i want to do becasue it is infact my car and i dont feel the need to look like everyone else :) That and I like to make everything alittle more custom and different. With that: Here are my old tails and new ones below.

TO:

Thanks for viewing :)

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i stil wish the 03's would have panned out but i had put to much time and $ into those to find a new set of tailight lenses to fit correctly. its someone elses problem now ;)

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so verdict seems to be: Cool that did it myself and find something different. Tails: not most peoples style. I can accept that ;)

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
they are different, I can get to like these. GJ

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Need to paint the grill in the rear bumper black.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol i like the responses ;) The 1st set in those pics actually came with the car but i never found tails that really stood out to me enough to get rid of them. I never really was a big fan but didnt wanna settle. and deffinitly didnt wanna do smoked out stock like everyone else ;)

Nate, its on the list. along with hood & exhaust :)

Sickcelica. i actually do agree with you on that. i am just to lazy to remove the whole rear bumper to do it. i will probably spray the front ones as well when i get a chance.

other issue i am running into is the red bulb looks orange'ish at night. i am going through different led bulb types and going to try that rout out next.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
not feeling it, but i love your interior

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Remove?, get under there and just pop it out lol

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
there a large metal bumper behind that area. that and its actualy epoxied in. so i will have to take it off and mask off the area. cant really do that like it is being that behind it will have a funky mesh pattern painted in ;)

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I think they look good dan! wheres the cf on those :p

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol the c/f tails idea has been discussed. but the only tails with enough surface to do it to would be gen 1 or 2 APC tails which i refuse to put on ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts