NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I bouht a CF dash kit and installed it yesterday. Let me tell you that it's impossible to get the center console to adhere with its sleek curves (especially at the top near the windshield). The other 17 peices installed in 10 minutes with no problem cause they are fairly straight. I've spent 4 hours on this one piece (I'm a perfectionist) and it's driving me crazy. I have rubber spring loaded clamps all over it (pulled it out of the car) and it still won't stay. I even went as far as to buy a can of 3M automotive spray mount and I'm just about ready to crack it over my knee... any suggestions for those that have done this or are crafty?

·
O.G. Original Gluesniffer
8,944 Posts
Did you heat the peice up with a hairdryer first? When I instaleld a cf kit on my Civic the instructions said to heat each peice until it was hot to the touch, it activates the adhesive.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried but it still seems to not stick. Is there a better glue out there for this kinda stuff?

·
Buck Futter
1,934 Posts
hmm, where'd u get it from? my kit is way on there and all i did was use a hairdryer to heat each piece up... if you have stuck it on then pulled it off, you won't be able to to adhere it again. you'll have to figure out another way to glue it on.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately, I didn't get it to fit on the first drop because of the complexity in that piece so I had to rip it off and try again. I knew I was sh*t outa luck after that but there's gotta be a way to fix it.

·
Buck Futter
1,934 Posts
my only advice is, if you want it on forever, to use a thin coat of epoxy on the underside of the dash kit pieces, just enough to stick it but not enough so when you press down, it squeezes out.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Go to any glass shop (automotive tint shop, etc.) and get a tube of Silicon Adhesive. It's what they use around the edges of your windshield to secure it. It shouldn't have any problem bonding it to your dash.

As an example, I used it to apply a flat piece of plexiglass to a flat piece of metal. Not many things can do that, but it's on there and been holding strong for awhile.

It's definitely worth a try.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
I'd say to try heating it with the hairdrier again, both off and on the console once it's reinstalled. It might heat the adhesive (even tho you've pulled it off once) enough for it to bond better, and makes the pieces conform to the dash easier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts