NewCelica.org Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only difference is that there are four EGR(exhaust gas recirculation) ports in the head above the exhaust ports. In order to make an '03 header work on an '04 you have to take a 1/8'' pipe plug Tap and tap the small ports for the EGR. Once tapped you need four stainless steel pipe plugs, srew them into the head; if they don't start by hand screw the tap back in and make sure the threads on the tap are clean because the aluminum will clogg the threads easily. Screw the plugs in by hand and use a small box end wrench to tighten, this will help prevent overtightening because the aluminum is very soft metal. They don't have to be extremely tight but snug then install the new header for an '03 you can re-use your gasket and your done. Also some people try to move the engine to get the old header out but it slips through almost without a catch if you remove the passenger side axle just make sure you drain the transmission first; theres a 17/19mm plug on the bottom facing the front of the car. Its a little more expensive because you have to buy new trans lube but a lot easier in the long run! I used Lucas 75w90 synthetic it was like $36 but its good to change it anyway! Now you know my secret to making this part work on my car!! You also have to remove all the EGR crap, its the turbo looking thing and there are a few wires to diconnect; This Will Set a Code!

·
assplosive.
25,026 Posts
header installation

....sup larryd...

hey man i got the trd header and i ran into that prob too(04 gt-s) when i took off the stock manifold n saw the four holes i was devastated!!!! man this aint gonna work??? so i called up trd and they said to get creative......(booooo) bad advise(esp. from TRD) i asked some mech at work and they told me to do the same thing.....but i was still skeptic....so did the stuff u did to the four holes do good, did u get a cel, was the performance better, and how safe are those hole taps u mentioned....i was thinking that but i wasen't too sure bout it....let me know...and if it did do good what was the price range and labor u would have to do(more detail) on those hole taps.....

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far so good

Sorry i have not had the chance to reply, but so far i have had no exhaust leaks or problems with the plugs I used. It took a couple of hours for me to finish the job. I do my own work but I charge $35/hr. So probably $75-120 to do the install plus parts which the plugs are only like $4-5. So estimated $100-125 if it were me, but most shops will charge much more. Good luck this fix does work but remember you will have an engine light when you remove the EGR.

·
Registered
275 Posts
hey, need to know if the same info could be used for a 2002 Celica GT-S. I have the headers and I'm working on purchasing the gaskets, but yeah. I was wondering if you have any more specific instructions for the installation? don't want to be spending a crap load for the gaskets and end up putting them in wrong causing a gasket leak and stuff like that. so yeah. help a guy out!

Later,
Kou

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Header is not plural there is only one. You dont need a gasket it is reusable unless you insist on replacing it, in that case you just need a stock oem gasket and does youre car even have EGR ports in the back of the head? pm me for further questions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the '03 (After March) GT-S model which also has EGR. This method would work fine, but I just went to a muffler shop and had the guy cut out a spacer to go inbetween the header and the head which included tabs that went up and covered the EGR holes. He only charged me $40 for it and it works great.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This was my original plan but it was just easier for me to use the plugs :) great minds think alike :p

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I no longer have the car, maybe someone else can help me out here!

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you have an '04 GT-S, and want a header then just get the WR header. It has 4 tabs on the header that cover up the egr ports. I had one installed on my car and I have no exhaust leaks. That's a **** load easier than pluggin the holes in the head, and the header itself performs quite well. Lots of midrange torque w/ the street header atleast. I can't speak for the race header.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
wr header

gt-s boy said:
If you have an '04 GT-S, and want a header then just get the WR header. It has 4 tabs on the header that cover up the egr ports. I had one installed on my car and I have no exhaust leaks. That's a **** load easier than pluggin the holes in the head, and the header itself performs quite well. Lots of midrange torque w/ the street header atleast. I can't speak for the race header.
do you have pics that you can send me to my e-mail or post them in here?
my e-mail is [email protected]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.