NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come we don't hear from it that much??

I mean, I read more interest before it was actually out for sale.

Except the installation issue, how is it powerwise? No dyno were posted after the prototypes that Mike has tested as far as I know. Need some opinions ..

TPR might show a better finish header w/ good gains but that's another story ..

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
dc header are trash, they did such a bad job on all the header's sold, i sold mine becuase in Everythingcelica.com there were i think 2 pplz that said they lost power wen they got the header, i did 2 lose power, wen i raced against a friend i should of beat, so i would say wait for tpr

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Originally posted by youngxlos
dc header are trash, they did such a bad job on all the header's sold, i sold mine becuase in Everythingcelica.com there were i think 2 pplz that said they lost power wen they got the header, i did 2 lose power, wen i raced against a friend i should of beat, so i would say wait for tpr
:rofl: Riight cause you're such a perfect driver it could not have been you messed up. It's mis informed people like you that perpetuate these rumors. MWR clearly got 2 hp extra with the power fc and header. which means had they used stock ECU they wouldve had some decent gains. ;) it's not gonna gain you a million hp but IMO it's not bad for the price. since NOBODY has done before/after dynos nobody knows for sure exactly what its doin.

I got mine installed last night BUT it will be awhile before I can do the after dyno cause my car died last night thanx to the stupid alternator goin out. my before dyno was 170 whp ( I/E/stock ECU )and I intended on an after right away but seeing as my car is immobile thats a lil impposible.

I do plan on posting dynos when ever I get my car runnig again.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
yep, Mike is right on like always :)
youngxlos, you sold it on a rumor w/o a dyno?
those people who said they lost power I highly doubt they had it dyno-tuned with a recognized aftermarket fuel computer, which is what you need as you put more upgrades on your car.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Originally posted by QTRMLR_1
those people who said they lost power I highly doubt they had it dyno-tuned with a recognized aftermarket fuel computer, which is what you need as you put more upgrades on your car.
If you already have a PowerFC, there isn't really much point in buying it just for 2hp when it's tuned.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Originally posted by WillyK
If you already have a PowerFC, there isn't really much point in buying it just for 2hp when it's tuned.
:werd: unless someone finds a way to get at least 5-6 on top of the tuning w/o it then it's not worth buying.

you'll see more gains from the stock ecu. as with almost anymods like this the more stock the car is the more gains you'll see.

If I went by my butt dyno I woulda ditched the pfc long ago. because you dont feel lift the car seems slower. but in reality you have so much more power down low that it transitions smoothe.

If you judge gains solely based on butt dyno you're nuts lol

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
and I didnt pay for the DC header so I could care less if it doesnt work. $0 for 0 gains is no problem. and 1-2 hp is even better cause I would not have had them otherwise. :gap: soon as my car is running again I will get it dynoed.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Originally posted by 00silverGTS6spd
If I went by my butt dyno I woulda ditched the pfc long ago. because you dont feel lift the car seems slower. but in reality you have so much more power down low that it transitions smoothe.
That'd be nice to have.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good, let us updated Mike!!

Hopefully, your .. well .. our cars will run fine soon ..

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
i talked to youngxlos the other day, i think one reason he may not have gotten any power is because im pretty sure he doesn't have and exhaust? I will have to ask him. but everyone tells me the dc header is crap so who knows.

now to me i think you would have to have an aftermarket exhaust to get gains from a header? but i don't know much about airflow? anyone got an opinion?

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Remember, "2hp" is only peak , and happens at only at 1 RPM out of 8400. Headers have been known to help smooth out the kick into lift by gaining power right before, and also help a bit on low end. Peak power is only good for advertising. It's what's below the peak that matters.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Mine was good for a tenth or two on my quartermile. Too bad i sold my car or i would have proved it.

This was with the stock exhaust system and just an ebay intake. I was able to pull a 14.7 on a hot ass day with a full tank of gas with the i/h. Seeing as i pulled a 14.5 with just intake i would guess the i/h would put me at 14.3-14.4. But thats all just specualtion now.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Originally posted by SleeprGT
i talked to youngxlos the other day, i think one reason he may not have gotten any power is because im pretty sure he doesn't have and exhaust? I will have to ask him. but everyone tells me the dc header is crap so who knows.

now to me i think you would have to have an aftermarket exhaust to get gains from a header? but i don't know much about airflow? anyone got an opinion?
actually he would've gotten more gains ;) the prototype showed 10 hp peak over stock. this meant (my car was used and I was ther eso I know for fact ;) ) that the stock exhaust AND intake were used.

the closer to stock you are the better gains you'll see ;) It's a very simple concept.

with a car properly tuned you wont get huge peak gains because you're already compensating for any deficiencies the car may have. thats why mwr only peaked 2 hp more. the car was already finely tuned.

the more you do the more expensive each hp becomes :)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Although hp does get more expensive as you increase it, that 2 hp is just one car. MWR is probably the only one to dyno-tune. And every car is different. Do not assume I will only make 2 hp when tuned.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The MWR GTS is not forced induction is it??? I don't think so.
Think about it. There is a limit as to how much good an "out-take" system can benefit if you are all motor, not forced induction. Build the motor, get a custom intake manifold, run on methanol and then tell me you are only making 2hp tuned.

·
Registered
463 Posts
To make it simple we will use common parts that everyone uses right now! are you guys saying that with injen cold air intake, trd exhaust, and dc header, that...

You get more power with i/e pfc then i/e/h/pfc? That doesn't make any sense at all. I agree with blue. It not just peak numbers, its the whole powerband.......

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sorry to be the black sheep but I got awesome results out of the DC header! I didn't get to do a before and after but I was involved in a dyno day in which 3 other Celicas with the same mods (AEM CAI, Tuned PFC, JDM TRD exhaust). All I can say is that I absolutely crapped on them! At least 6kw (Australia = metric) more than the highest result. That equates to about 10hp @wheels.

The only reason I got the header was because I stuffed up the thread in the stock one whilst installing the ES MM inserts. :gap:

I was also worried when I heard people reporting a loss in hp, possible leaks and poor quality. So I made sure it was installed right first time. I bought new header bolts and metal gasket (not the metal ring coz it was too expensive!). When I slapped it all together I used HEAPS of high temp gasket glue to ensure a good seal. I also welded the L bracket back on. Man what a bitch of an install!

Butt dyno told me that it made REAL power especially down low! The following day I got a dyno tune. BEFORE the tune it made 119kw @wheels (really lean). The most power I have heard to come out of an Aussie (jdm spec) Celica was 115kw and that is after a dyno tune! I ended the day with 123kw after tune (stock is about 90-95 kw). Header def gave me the edge!
I have the dyno readout if y'all want to see it, but its in Kilowatts so it won't meen **** to you guys.

I know some people will be dissapointed but I only have positive things to say about the DC Sports header! GREAT JOB YANKEES! :headbang:

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2000ZR said:

I know some people will be dissapointed but I only have positive things to say about the DC Sports header! GREAT JOB YANKEES! :headbang:
Dissapointed you say :nono:

An effective mod should always be consider a + by the celica community!! :)

(I know what you meant btw, just wanted to express some opinions ..)

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I have a DC header on my GT and i love it. All the dyno's i have seen is when the header is the first mod ppl do and they lose power cause they have no back pressure. Get a header and intake with exhaust and you will see gains.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts