NewCelica.org Forum banner

101 - 120 of 154 Posts

·
Work Done, Sexy Time.
2,835 Posts
Honestly I hadn't thought about making it faster, I just want it to not break! It is already reasonably fast... Evo X barely pulls on me!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wait...what? :wtf2: Not to change the subject but what do you call barely/ what mods do you have?

·
Registered Loser
82 Posts
Wait...what? :wtf2: Not to change the subject but what do you call barely/ what mods do you have?

2004 Celica GT-S: K&N SRI, custom decatted mid pipe and HKS Silent Hi-Power exhaust, Exedy Stage 1 clutch, Fidanza flywheel, KYB AGX with Tanabe springs. I have more stuff than that, but it either doesn't affect performance or wasn't on my car at the time. Raced stock Evo X on the highway starting at like 70mph... it got away from me only very slowly, and I even had a person in the car with me! It was close enough that the driver wanted more races out of me. You have to remember that for straight line speed, the Evo X has the advantage of power and torque, but that's it. Celica is lighter, more aerodynamic, and even has more gears (manual Evo X is only a five speed). Power to weight ratio wise, if my car has 200hp and weighs 2500lbs, then that is 160hp/ton. An Evo X at 291hp and 3517lbs is 165.5hp/ton. It's not that big of a difference! I even just raced a brand new Cadillac with the 318hp 3.6L V6, was neck and neck until 80, then pulled away from it once I was in fourth gear. The GT-S isn't the fastest car around, but the low weight makes it a formidable vehicle, especially when you consider that its real speciality is handling.

·
It is known.
8,235 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,093 Posts
An 04 GTS won't make 200hp NA without a DD IM and a Power FC.
It wouldn't be a good idea to be racing people with your motor knocking.

·
Registered Loser
82 Posts
The motor has 180 stock... I have an SRI, midpipe and exhaust, and a flywheel. People on here say the flywheel alone can be good for 15hp. I guess you guys have been living in tuner dyno sheet world too long... the automotive industry measures power at the crankshaft (ALL SAE standards). No one ever said anything about power to the wheels! Don't be so negative, haha. Here's the facts: I matched then beat a car with 158hp/ton, and got slowly pulled on by a car with 165hp/ton. That basically puts me between those ranges, which puts me in the 200hp range. I never said I had 200hp anyway, I said IF I did to give a nice round number for the math example of the closeness in power to weight ratios. I didn't think my car was as quick as it is until I started beating turbo Genesis' and WRXs. Also, car not knocking... it is clicking/tapping. I have been irresponsible with how much I have been driving it, but it is my only car and I don't have much of a choice! I haven't been dogging it lately though. ;P

·
Lurker
376 Posts
People on here say the flywheel alone can be good for 15hp
First: Flywheels don't add power. Second... who the f*ck said that?

Also, car not knocking...
Third: Who decided this?

Fourth: Bench racing and street racing show a lack of maturity (in MY opinion).... I'm not going to get into a flame war with you but please stop while you're ahead... if you want to race I can take you to some autoX events and you can go as fast as you possibly can without a Paul Walker-style death.

Speaking of... here's a quick shot from yesterday!

-Alex

·
Registered Loser
82 Posts
I never said a flywheel added power, but I am saying that it takes less energy to turn a lighter one so the engine has more energy to put toward the final product. It is attached to the crankshaft... isnt that how it works? I just thought that was common knowledge. The website offers up members' dyno results, and I thought someone saying that was something I had come across in my research before buying one. As far as knocking goes, I would say the sound it is making is a tapping or clicking, and not like the knocking of an engine like when they have no oil or something. If you mean knocking as some technical term for whatever is wrong with my engine then I have no idea! In terms of maturity, this Celica is my fifth vehicle in twelve years of driving, all preceding were crashed/totaled, some in stupendous accidents that should have taken my life. I have made a conscious effort and decision to be cautious with my Celica, both because of personal safety and also because driving a beater for four years taught me about respecting my car in general. All of that said, that doesn't mean I'm not going to have a couple pulls now and then against someone on the highway. I didn't buy a sporty car to pose... if I could afford the tires I would auto cross! I would love to go! I should also note I am happy with who I am, and I do not seek the approval of strangers in regard to morality. I just came here for advice and to share my passion and experiences with my car, and I got met with skepticism and elitism. I apologize if I somehow come off in a negative way with how I try to analyze things with such depth, and I certainly wasn't going to just roll over... seems like I should have just kept it to myself! I am STILL saying that my car must be making almost 200hp at the crank based on my research about what it has done to it and the cars that I have beaten... it's pretty disheartening how down people are about their model of car man, I thought people would be happy to hear about the little underdog giving the greats a run for their money! The whole purpose of me saying it in the first place was just to back up how I was satisfied with its speed... am I lying to myself?

·
It is known.
8,235 Posts
I never said a flywheel added power, but I am saying that it takes less energy to turn a lighter one so the engine has more energy to put toward the final product. It is attached to the crankshaft... isnt that how it works? I just thought that was common knowledge. The website offers up members' dyno results, and I thought someone saying that was something I had come across in my research before buying one. As far as knocking goes, I would say the sound it is making is a tapping or clicking, and not like the knocking of an engine like when they have no oil or something. If you mean knocking as some technical term for whatever is wrong with my engine then I have no idea! In terms of maturity, this Celica is my fifth vehicle in twelve years of driving, all preceding were crashed/totaled, some in stupendous accidents that should have taken my life. I have made a conscious effort and decision to be cautious with my Celica, both because of personal safety and also because driving a beater for four years taught me about respecting my car in general. All of that said, that doesn't mean I'm not going to have a couple pulls now and then against someone on the highway. I didn't buy a sporty car to pose... if I could afford the tires I would auto cross! I would love to go! I should also note I am happy with who I am, and I do not seek the approval of strangers in regard to morality. I just came here for advice and to share my passion and experiences with my car, and I got met with skepticism and elitism. I apologize if I somehow come off in a negative way with how I try to analyze things with such depth, and I certainly wasn't going to just roll over... seems like I should have just kept it to myself! I am STILL saying that my car must be making almost 200hp at the crank based on my research about what it has done to it and the cars that I have beaten... it's pretty disheartening how down people are about their model of car man, I thought people would be happy to hear about the little underdog giving the greats a run for their money! The whole purpose of me saying it in the first place was just to back up how I was satisfied with its speed... am I lying to myself?

Flywheels don't make power, just makes the engine use the power you have quicker.

Most of us have been around long enough and have seen new people start spewing numbers and saying they beat this or that car; it justs gets old, ya know? I personally have gone through more 7th gen celicas than anyone on this site. My wife has had a GT and two GTSs. I've had a GT and a GTS you see in my sig. I know what they're capable of.

Also, capital raceway still has test n tunes on Friday nights (I believe) if you want to race safely.

·
Registered Loser
82 Posts
As I said, I am happy with its performance... I was just saying why. My car has been surprising people since I've owned it and I just wanted to share some war stories! Whether or not anyone believes me is not important, I guess. I am taking my car in to Toyota today for diagnosis... does anyone know anything about baking paint on to something in an oven? I don't want to ruin my oven or something. I'm going to search but I figured if try to keep conversation alive. :)

·
It is known.
8,235 Posts
the answer is not much
Says you. The previous owner of my GT went 14.7 in the 1/4. Do a search for the screen name Maelfyn on the 1/4 mile list for N/A GTs. I myself only bested 15.4, but I didn't go to nearly the lengths he did to do it. On my fastest pass I nearly beat a 02 GTS (stock 7800 rpm fuel cut).

I haven't taken the GTS to the track and probably never will. My track days are done.

·
Registered Loser
82 Posts
So after more research I see that I misunderstood exactly how the lighter flywheel increases power... the engine has a maximum speed of rotation and that is measured at a constant RPM when the engine is not being resisted by the flywheel. So a lighter flywheel won't increase maximum power, but it does increase the power being transmitted up until that point, which is what I must have read here. So my car doesn't have higher overall power, but the power curve on a dyno graph would be similar to a car that does. I get it now!

·
Work Done, Sexy Time.
2,835 Posts
2004 Celica GT-S: K&N SRI, custom decatted mid pipe and HKS Silent Hi-Power exhaust, Exedy Stage 1 clutch, Fidanza flywheel, KYB AGX with Tanabe springs. I have more stuff than that, but it either doesn't affect performance or wasn't on my car at the time. Raced stock Evo X on the highway starting at like 70mph... it got away from me only very slowly, and I even had a person in the car with me! It was close enough that the driver wanted more races out of me. You have to remember that for straight line speed, the Evo X has the advantage of power and torque, but that's it. Celica is lighter, more aerodynamic, and even has more gears (manual Evo X is only a five speed). Power to weight ratio wise, if my car has 200hp and weighs 2500lbs, then that is 160hp/ton. An Evo X at 291hp and 3517lbs is 165.5hp/ton. It's not that big of a difference! I even just raced a brand new Cadillac with the 318hp 3.6L V6, was neck and neck until 80, then pulled away from it once I was in fourth gear. The GT-S isn't the fastest car around, but the low weight makes it a formidable vehicle, especially when you consider that its real speciality is handling.
Sure ok, I buy this story with the Evo X only with Evo X not downshifting cause the exact same thing happened the one time I bothered to race my friend in his Evo 9MR. He's not stock and my Celica has more performance mods than what you listed. He didn't bother to downshift either and he still walked me so I wouldn't be too excited. Anyways good luck with the repairs.

·
Registered Loser
82 Posts
My math still stands... my car is only a small amount of horsepower per ton down on an Evo even if it isn't 200hp. Again, the Celica also has more gears and is more aerodynamic. There are other variables... maybe the person driving it weighed 350lbs? I have no idea. We pulled a couple times on the highway, he got away from me, but it was close enough that he wouldn't leave me alone and wanted to keep going over and over. It wasn't a race from a stop. Even after that, I straight up just beat a $60,000 Cadillac with only 8hp/ton less than an Evo (more power and torque than Evo but more weight also). If you don't believe me I don't really care... I don't know you and will probably never meet you! I'm sorry that you guys I guess think I'm just some poser talking shit or something, lol. The car only has to gain 20hp to be almost on par with the cars I'm talking about, I have a handful of mods, and people here are acting like it is out of this freaking universe that I could even be close to that range; like even 10-15hp and the situations I am describing are plausible just by doing the math. Ah, the good old internet. :p

·
Registered Loser
82 Posts
In fact, when I beat the Cadillac I had my windows down! Another car that pulled on me slowly was a Kia Optima w/ turbo... I had a passenger with me though. I understand how you guys feel but I stand behind my experience, haha. I do apologize for causing trouble I guess!

·
Work Done, Sexy Time.
2,835 Posts
It's cool man I'm not here to start a thread war with you and I could totally buy your story with the Evo not really trying or not knowing how to drive but when you mention things like gearing when 6th is ONLY for fuel economy/cruising my red flags get raised. Welcome to the site, and good luck with your Celica repairs.

·
Registered Loser
82 Posts
Yeah, I mean my story is basically that I raced an Evo and if pulled on me, haha. It's all good... BTW, if you roll your car racing, just tap the left thumbstick to flip it back over.

101 - 120 of 154 Posts