NewCelica.org Forum banner

121 - 140 of 154 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,093 Posts
We've all been around for quite a while so we know the capabilities of a celica.
Like Tehk said, when you bring up variables like aerodynamics and say that the GTS is geared better because of the 6th gear, makes it kind of hard to believe you're not 16 years old lol.

·
Registered Loser
82 Posts
So you're saying aerodynamics do not affect the speed of a car? I've never topped my car out so I didn't know it hit max speed in 5th gear; why wouldn't they put an overdrive on the Evo? It is interesting how you equate someone who may be misinformed, is clearly capable of understanding anything you try to explain, and wants to learn the truth, to someone who is 16. We should all be 16 again! No one here seems to actually want to explain anything, but they seem to have plenty of time to be condescending. ANYWAY... my car is at Toyota and I should hear back about the diagnosis today. Does anyone know if I take the valve cover from them to paint and bake in my oven, am I going to ruin my oven??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
It is known.
8,235 Posts
So you're saying aerodynamics do not affect the speed of a car?
The drag coefficient only helps so much.

I've never topped my car out so I didn't know it hit max speed in 5th gear;
Our cars do not make enough power to go any faster in 6th gear.

why wouldn't they put an overdrive on the Evo?
I believe some Evos are 6spds. It just depends how they are geared. For the ones that are 5 spds, 5th gear is considered overdrive.

·
Registered Loser
82 Posts
I had a 4.0L Ranger that was limited to 93mph (apparently this is the maximum safe speed at which you can slam the brakes and not flip the truck over forwards) so it topped out in 4th, and 5th was just labelled "OD." So a gear only used for economy is what I automatically associate with overdrive, as opposed to a gear with less than 1:1 gear ratio. :p

·
Registered Loser
82 Posts
So Toyota has told me that the noise I'm getting is the lifters, and they're not going to charge me. They didn't open the engine and are suggesting engine rebuild or new engine. They said that it's not on the verge of detonating but that it will get louder until it fails someday. I'm going to get the car now, then probably take it over to a good tuning shop for a second opinion. Anyone have any thoughts on this? The lifters?

·
SLO2ZZ
779 Posts
2004 Celica GT-S: K&N SRI, custom decatted mid pipe and HKS Silent Hi-Power exhaust, Exedy Stage 1 clutch, Fidanza flywheel, KYB AGX with Tanabe springs. I have more stuff than that, but it either doesn't affect performance or wasn't on my car at the time. Raced stock Evo X on the highway starting at like 70mph... it got away from me only very slowly, and I even had a person in the car with me! It was close enough that the driver wanted more races out of me. You have to remember that for straight line speed, the Evo X has the advantage of power and torque, but that's it. Celica is lighter, more aerodynamic, and even has more gears (manual Evo X is only a five speed). Power to weight ratio wise, if my car has 200hp and weighs 2500lbs, then that is 160hp/ton. An Evo X at 291hp and 3517lbs is 165.5hp/ton. It's not that big of a difference! I even just raced a brand new Cadillac with the 318hp 3.6L V6, was neck and neck until 80, then pulled away from it once I was in fourth gear. The GT-S isn't the fastest car around, but the low weight makes it a formidable vehicle, especially when you consider that its real speciality is handling.
Lol where are you from in VA? Talking like this makes me want to run you at a track. I have more done to my car and don't make probably anywhere close to 200hp, but i can assure you i'd outrun you.

·
It is known.
8,235 Posts
Lol where are you from in VA? Talking like this makes me want to run you at a track. I have more done to my car and don't make probably anywhere close to 200hp, but i can assure you i'd outrun you.
He's up closer to me....Manassass I think. If you have more done then you shouldn't have a problem. He'd be a closer match for me as I have the same year with only a magnaflow exhaust, ACT clutch, and fidanza flywheel. Although, I have about 95k less miles on my car.

·
Work Done, Sexy Time.
2,835 Posts
Nah just leave that guy alone Jordan, pretty sure party2go and I set him fairly straight plus he seems to be having some mechanical issues. No need to kick a man while he's down. I'm always down for some friendly runs though, let me know.

Scotty good to see you at the Springfield Meet tonight, thanks again for that favor.

·
SLO2ZZ
779 Posts
Nah just leave that guy alone Jordan, pretty sure party2go and I set him fairly straight plus he seems to be having some mechanical issues. No need to kick a man while he's down. I'm always down for some friendly runs though, let me know.

Scotty good to see you at the Springfield Meet tonight, thanks again for that favor.
Haha man just the logic of some of these guys astounds me..

·
It is known.
8,235 Posts
scotty are the springfields mostly every monday? im upset i didnt get to go today
Yes, weather permitting.
You're welcome. Sorry, I couldn't make it back out; ya know husband duties.

·
Work Done, Sexy Time.
2,835 Posts
scotty are the springfields mostly every monday? im upset i didnt get to go today :(
Yeah every Monday, this Memorial day was pretty deep. I'll post back in that thread though.

·
The Shenron Moderator
7,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I'll be there around August so I hope to see everyone again!! I passed my Postgraduate defense so I'll be graduating!:D

·
It is known.
8,235 Posts
I'll be there around August so I hope to see everyone again!! I passed my Postgraduate defense so I'll be graduating!
Hurry up already! :)

·
It is known.
8,235 Posts
The one at Springfield Plaza got shut down about a 2 month ago which was the one I had been attending because it was right around the corner from the house . Think they moved it to Fairfax Towne Center.

Is there another meet in Springfield? I wasn't aware of any.

121 - 140 of 154 Posts