NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I decided to buy this tC now, after summer is almost over...I gotta start thinking about snow and ice. I've read reviews about the Potenza RE92's that come OEM on the car (same as the IS300) and people say they sux0r on rain/snow and ice. I have found out today that yes...they do slip in the rain if too much gas is given.

What's a good winter tire and what would be a good summer/performance tire?

Teh mexican appreciates your cooperation.

·
It is known.
8,235 Posts
winter............blizzacks

summer.........es100 or azenies

·
Registered
363 Posts
I dont want to bash or anything.But I am not impressed with new TC.They are nothing special inparticular.It is like Driving a GTS.Just a lil bit more Cozy.
Im not sure what your looking for/perforamce/show.Or just want a great car.

I felt that my friends GTS..Which is basically stock was much quicker and responsive.

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
Originally posted by XYRCNCP
Since I decided to buy this tC now, after summer is almost over...I gotta start thinking about snow and ice. I've read reviews about the Potenza RE92's that come OEM on the car (same as the IS300) and people say they sux0r on rain/snow and ice. I have found out today that yes...they do slip in the rain if too much gas is given.

What's a good winter tire and what would be a good summer/performance tire?

Teh mexican appreciates your cooperation.
Azenis + Lsd = Great for snow and Ice :)

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
YoungTRD said:
I dont want to bash or anything.But I am not impressed with new TC.They are nothing special inparticular.It is like Driving a GTS.Just a lil bit more Cozy.

I felt that my friends GTS..Which is basically stock was much quicker and responsive.
for the sake of not sounding like super bitch...WTF?!? This thred has nothing to do with your .02 on the Tc. Its about Tires! On that note I need new tires as well :(

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
Originally posted by YoungTRD

Yes but the Tc is not a Celica.......and is 6k cheaper. Plus there are turbo's and superchargers comming out for them.

I like light/small cars so the Tc is not for me BUT I made my Parents buy one :)

·
Registered
19,279 Posts

No, he wasn't going for a performance car. He's big pimpin' in his Auto.

Any who... Blizzaks wear down fast when on pavement. The Pirelli P7000 Supersports were ok, but had great wet and snow grip. It doesn't seem they make them anymore though. At least they aren't on Tirerack. Sumitomo also had good snow tires. My friend with the Cobra had those and he got to work ok a couple years back. :chuckles:

·
Registered
12,703 Posts
RE92's are what come stock on the WRX. They are ok on dry and I'm not really happy with them in the rain. Even with AWD if I go around a corner even semi fast my back end is sliding sideways. They are a good general use tire but not exceptional on any surface. But if you drive slow they are fine in all conditions. For the price of the RE92's there are better tires out there. I've got the RE070's on now (stock STi rims/tires). They are ok in rain and exceptional on dry. But not recommended if its your everyday car. Probably not good at all on snow.

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
If you are not driving like a d00sh the RE92's are fine.

Yes RE070s will be useless in snow, and a lot less effective in cold weather - i.e. sub 40's. This is true of pretty much every summer tire.

I wrote something about good A/S tires in the newsletter, I am trying to find it..

john

·
Registered
19,279 Posts
Originally posted by Butt Dyno
If you are not driving like a d00sh the RE92's are fine.

Yes RE070s will be useless in snow, and a lot less effective in cold weather - i.e. sub 40's. This is true of pretty much every summer tire.

I wrote something about good A/S tires in the newsletter, I am trying to find it..

john
look on the web site foo

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
kaioshin said:
look on the web site foo
Thanks for the tip :rolleyes: I didn't know which one had my tire article.

Anyhoo.. I would say the Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S (has to be M+S; the regular Pzero Nero is a summer tire), or the Continental ContiExtremeContact

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/kumho_ecsta_asx.jsp

edit: and for summer tires.. I have heard good things about the Falken FK451 - won't be as good as the Azenis but should last longer. Other possibilities, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Toyo T1-S, Dunlop SP9000, Firestone Firehawk SZ50EP

john

·
Premium Member
21,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Edit > Find (on this page)... Find what: Tires

wow, I'm sorry I missed where you said anything about tires.

Let's see:
GTS: high revving, 1.8L, 180hp engine/130 tq, 2500 lbs, car/drivetrain designed for performance.
tC: mid revving, 2.4L, 160hp engine/163 tq, 2900 lbs, car/drivetrain designed for comfort and economy.

No, the tC is NOT like driving a GTS, not anywhere close, I used to own one, auto so it sucked, but I can see the difference.

Conclusion: I like this reply better;

Originally posted by MicaCeli
Yes but the Tc is not a Celica.......and is 6k cheaper. Plus there are turbo's and superchargers comming out for them.

I like light/small cars so the Tc is not for me BUT I made my Parents buy one :)
Now, you might think I'm an ass after this reply to your post, and that's fine, but when you start a thread with "I don't want to bash or anything..." well....

·
Banned
3,768 Posts
TC ROCKS! it will be my next car. It'll be white so I can make it a panda :wiggle:

as for tires: I have blizzaks for my winter tires- never got stuck once. Worth the money, but they will wear down super fast outside of the cold/wet/winter weather...

·
Premium Member
21,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by ToyoGT
It'll be white so I can make it a panda :wiggle:

as for tires: I have blizzaks for my winter tires- never got stuck once. Worth the money, but they will wear down super fast outside of the cold/wet/winter weather...
panda: no

I might look into the blizzaks since I see good reviews about them, now should I get 4 or just the front 2?

·
Banned
3,768 Posts
panda: no

I might look into the blizzaks since I see good reviews about them, now should I get 4 or just the front 2?
Panda's ROCK! :)

As for the blizzaks...yes, you should get all four. you could always order them on cheap steel rims for $50 more, that way you can have summer/fall high performance tires! they are worth the money, believe me! i live in frederick up near the mountains and it snows much much heavier here...the tires were that good!

·
Registered
8,908 Posts

Seriously, your opinion was neither wanted, nor needed, nor is it anything close to reality.

The tC is a pretty great car for the price, and I am sure that Eric's main focus in buying one was to please your sensibilities.

·
Premium Member
21,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, Blizzaks or Pirelli Nero M+Ss

I'm afraid I might want to end up like John, and have 35 sets of wheels/tires for every kind of season/event.

What fall wheels/tires are you gonna run John? :chuckles:

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts

I'm afraid I might want to end up like John, and have 35 sets of wheels/tires for every kind of season/event.

SRT-4 = Crap.

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
XYRCNCP said:

Come November or so, I will be rocking stock wheels with RE92's.

Worst case I can't see having more than 3 sets - summer, winter, and autox.. and you can have the summer tires double as autox tires if you get Falkens..

BTW I have heard good things about Blizzaks, I just don't think buying dedicated snow tires is worth it when you already have a decent set of all seasons.

john

·
Premium Member
21,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So are you saying to stay with the RE92s for winter and later get a set of wheels/good summer tires?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts