NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have or know anyone that has a 2ZZ GTS with an auto transmission DD Performance Research would like to pay them to come by and let us hook up the Oscilloscope and monitor the factory trans control for a couple hours.

Please either e-mail us at [email protected] or call (979) 627-7545

Thanks!

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Doh! I'm not in Houston. I'm pretty excited as to what may be going on though! Send a car carrier, you can borrow mine until the end of May. :rofl:

·
Un-Registered User
1,327 Posts
Bump

·
Un-Registered User
1,327 Posts
I wasn't joking about sending a car carrier for mine. :)
Yeeaaaa I'm sure that would be a last resort kind of thing. Also, it's my car that Dave is working on :eatpop:

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
What are you guys doing that you need an auto GTS for? Seeing if you can install the shifty buttons on your turbo GT auto?

·
Un-Registered User
1,327 Posts
My crappy GT transmission couldn't handle my current power level, it would constantly slip under boost. So Dave swapped it with a GT-S auto trans, which is currently holding like a champ :thumbup:. He had to use an aftermarket trans controller and completely tune it from scratch. However, the shifts aren't "perfect" but they are acceptable. If he was able to obtain data from a stock Auto GT-S, he could possible make it even better.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
What kind of data does he need? Specs on the pressure reg solenoid duty cycle at different throttle positions, engine speeds, and road speeds?

I'm not surprised the U240E is holding up better than the A246E (I think that's what the GT has?). The U240E is, from my understanding, built much different than other Toyota transmissions and more akin to a manual transmission with clutch packs. I understand there to be no bands and drums. It certainly has a unique shift feel to it.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What kind of data does he need? Specs on the pressure reg solenoid duty cycle at different throttle positions, engine speeds, and road speeds?

I'm not surprised the U240E is holding up better than the A246E (I think that's what the GT has?). The U240E is, from my understanding, built much different than other Toyota transmissions and more akin to a manual transmission with clutch packs. I understand there to be no bands and drums. It certainly has a unique shift feel to it.
Pretty much - I need to watch the duty cycle ramps on apply and de-apply at different throttle percentages. The U240E uses linear control valves instead of accumulators to cushion the shifts, so right now ours is shifting pretty hard at low throttle. Shifts like damn champ at WOT though. And I also want to watch the duty control on the line pressure solenoid and 3-4 shift solenoid as well to make sure those are correct.

I really appreciate your offer - I don't know if we have budget for transport to and from Chicago though.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Well if you don't get anything by this spring when mine is out from winter I'll see what kind of data I can gather. We have a nice scanner at work, I'll see if I can get TIS setup on my laptop maybe, or there's the good old fluke meter back probed to the ECM harness but I doubt it's fast enough to get what you need.

I can tell you that there are some flaws in the stock programming on my 2000, it will hang shifts if you let off near redline, you pretty much have to remember to up shift then let off so it doesn't hang for a second. It's pretty reproducible too. There was something else too that's escaping me at the moment, I'll think about it and get back though. When it's cold the 1-2 up shift is like a rubber band snap instead of a nice crisp apply. I do wish the shifts at WOT were faster and a little firmer. Moderate and low throttle are nice in auto or in manly mode, the auto shifting points are pretty much spot on to what feels right for the car. If I drive in auto instead of manly I'm tapping the up button at the same time the ECM has already commanded it.

Down shifting, the ECM locks out 1st gear till 40mph even though 1st ends at 45 on the GTS. For some reason they don't want you in a lift down shift in 1st gear. You can down shift into lift in any other gear though it seems. I assume it's to save the drive line from being beat up too badly by shock since the 2-1 at 40 is a pretty hard hit on the car.

All stuff I'm sure you guys know already.

·
Un-Registered User
1,327 Posts
I'm not sure if Dave will be able to use any of the data but thank you very much for your willingness to help. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
No problem, you answered a bunch of questions in PM for me so anything I can do to help I will.

Do you have the buttons working? Those are fun.

·
Un-Registered User
1,327 Posts
I'm still running the GT steering wheel, I would have to get a GT-S steering wheel then wire in the buttons. So yea, for the time being I'm just going to run it like it is. So far Dave upgraded my turbo from the TK.com turbo to a GT2560R, switched from the PFC to the Hydra, installed a DynoMax VT muffler, and finally swapped in the U240E trans. This will most likely be the last upgrade I will ever do to my car.

Also, I'm sure you are aware of this but, DDPR is fvcking awesome :headbang:

·
Un-Registered User
1,327 Posts
Bump :shrugs:

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
I may have my car out in a couple weeks if the weather holds and we get some good rains to clear the salt off the roads, I'll PM you or DDPR to see if there's any info I can provide.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The problem is I need Oscilloscope data, not scan tool data. And I need a fair bit of it. Unfortunately I have had zero luck finding anyone local so far.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts