NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Premium Member
36,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at carbon fiber hoods. Some are OEM, some come with no scoop, some come with a raised hood scoop. I'm trying to determine what the exact differences are in the raised scoops, and if anyone has dimensions of them. Here's what I think:

C-ONE -most copies are based off this scoop

VIS - not available separately from their hood, taller than C-ONE and copies

Once I have this answer, there will be a followup question about hood manufacturers.

· Registered
649 Posts
I think you can buy just a vis scoop without the hood. the vis scoop also has a center piece comming down the middle of the scoop. I've been looking for a scoop for a long time now, and still not sure which one to get. I personnally like the c-one style, but I want to find one at a decent price that I will know will fit good.

· Registered
27,411 Posts
Jesse IL said:
You mean they're cut even though the hoods have rolled edges? And are the dimensions the same?
No, the scoop has rolled edges too. I just meant that the top of the scoop is rather flat. When looked at from the front and eye level, it almost looks box like in shape. The c-one is a bit rounded overall. Here's a pic of my c-one style, bare with me, it's the best pic I have of it at the moment.

It's hard to tell unless you have two cars side by side. The differences are actually quite negligible to most people.

· Premium Member
36,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand now. I was under the impression that the C-ONE scoop sat lower than the VIS.

The folow up question is obviously VIS hoods have VIS-style raised scoops. Who makes CF hoods that have C-ONE style raised scoops?

· Registered
2,431 Posts
Originally posted by robare99
Here's a pic of my VIS CF hoodscoop. I didn't know if I would like the middle dip part, but now that it's on I think it looks great.

i was thinking the same thing, i dont know if i like the middle part... i guess i could cut it off if i wanted too, but yours looks decent so maybe it will look different than most peoples... ts just sitting in my garage... waiting for my WHOLE CAR to get painted :chuckles:

· Registered
27,411 Posts
Jesse IL said:
I understand now. I was under the impression that the C-ONE scoop sat lower than the VIS.

The folow up question is obviously VIS hoods have VIS-style raised scoops. Who makes CF hoods that have C-ONE style raised scoops?
I was in the same boat as you. The only one I could find with the more rounded scoops was this company, Carbon EFX.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=7944374964&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

For more pics...
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2329565093

Homepage
www.carbonefx.com

How I first heard of them... (you even posted in the thread :D)
http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=153678&highlight=carbonefx

I tried emailing them with the email they supplied on their website, but no response. Then I found that auction on ebay. I would try that route, since their site states that they don't sell them outside of wholesale.

· Registered
8,593 Posts
robare99 said:
Here's a pic of my VIS CF hoodscoop. I didn't know if I would like the middle dip part, but now that it's on I think it looks great.

I have a painted CF VIS raised scoop on my car and I love it, despite the little thing in the middle. I never even notice it and niether does anyone else.

· Premium Member
36,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Originally posted by evil eye
I was in the same boat as you. The only one I could find with the more rounded scoops was this company, Carbon EFX.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=7944374964&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

For more pics...
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2329565093

Homepage
www.carbonefx.com

How I first heard of them... (you even posted in the thread :D)
http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=153678&highlight=carbonefx

I tried emailing them with the email they supplied on their website, but no response. Then I found that auction on ebay. I would try that route, since their site states that they don't sell them outside of wholesale.
Yeah I remember them. Their stuff looked really nice, and people said really good stuff about the hoods. I think I've seen their hoods on eBay. In those pics, there was a big gap between the hood and the front bumper, but people thought it was because of the aftermarket bumper. How was the fitment on your car?

· Registered
27,411 Posts
I actually wound up not buying it Jesse. I decided to go the extra mile and get a C-One hood. But I was seriously about to purchase that hood off ebay, the weave looks amazing. I believe the gap existed because the owner never re-installed the rubber lining that goes between the stock hood and front bumper. I've seen pics of a Veilside front and a stock hood with that same gap in the front. He did not have the rubber lining, and it makes a big difference.

Take a look at your TRD front... imagine how the front end would look if that rubber lining was not present, even with the stock hood. ;)

· Registered
6,252 Posts
haha im gonna try to find the same hood that I had before...FiberImages!

· Premium Member
36,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by evil eye
I actually wound up not buying it Jesse. I decided to go the extra mile and get a C-One hood. But I was seriously about to purchase that hood off ebay, the weave looks amazing. I believe the gap existed because the owner never re-installed the rubber lining that goes between the stock hood and front bumper. I've seen pics of a Veilside front and a stock hood with that same gap in the front. He did not have the rubber lining, and it makes a big difference.

Take a look at your TRD front... imagine how the front end would look if that rubber lining was not present, even with the stock hood. ;)
Well ****. I was just about to buy that hood frmo eBay. Now I don't know of anyone who has bought one :mad:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.