NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little new here, and though I searched for a thread like this, I didn't find it, so bare with me if it's been discussed.

Basically, I want map lights. My Eclipse had a dome and two map lights. I know this might be a trivial issue, but I don't want to put light pods on my dash or console. I'd like to do something like Dooly's led mod to my dome light, but I've had issues with cops in the past with the dome light being on. Besides that, I'd like to make the dome blue to match my illumination, but you can't read everything very well by blue light.

I want to put this into a GT-S with a sunroof.

Has anyone sourced a dome light from a different vehicle that has a those three lights AND a sunroof switch? I'd like to avoid having to fiberglass a lip around it if possible when I reupholster my headliner.

It just seems to me that we have about... 8" front to back to occupy with a dome light, so why not?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
not exactly sure what ur lookign for. u want lights inside the dome but not dooly led? honestly its ur best bed. clean simple install. is expensive but well worth it. i love mine

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, mentioning Dooly's mod probably confused this. I'm talking about taking a dome light pod out of another vehicle with a moonroof that still has the switch there. Like out of a Toyota Highlander, 4 Runner, etc... replacing the Celica dome light pod altogether.

Anyone done anything like that?

I've been looking in all sorts of cars looking for something that would fit the description (Scion TC, VW's, other Toyotas, etc...), and haven't found anything. Essentially, something that has: a dome, two seperate map lights, and a switch for the moonroof, and dome if possible.

My old Eclipse had the lighting covered, however it didn't have the switches.

I was thinking that if this little animal does exist, it wouldn't be too hard to make it work since you already have most of the wiring present. All you'd have to do is cut the headliner a little bit (which seems to have a bit of space under it you could recess more stuff into) and affix mounting points for the new unit. If the unit didn't quite have enough space under the headliner, you could fiberglass the area around it to slope up to the new light console. Which would require recovering the headliner, but I'm planning on doing that anyway.

I've just been inspired by all the DIY I've seen here, and I refuse to think it can't be done. :cool:

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
First of all, there aren't enough room to put other dome housing that has map light, sunroof controller and dome light..
Second it will be impossible to find something that is pretty close to direct fit... since more other dome housing like you want is pretty large....
Third even if you get something similar, it will be alot of fabrication, also not sure how well it will be compatiable to the sunroof controller...

It's not worth the trouble for to just have additional maplight...
Why do you want to drive around with them on?? you aren't suppose to have any domelight on at night time since it creates glare on inside of the windows...

You won't have much problem reading with my blue LED light.... it's much as bright as stock bulb.... :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts