NewCelica.org Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 48 Posts
did only the 2nd mod and everything works great. one difference is, that you have to have your low beams on in order to flip to the high beams, compared to just driving around during the day with the highs on without knowing it. everything works great. very easy. can't wait to show off to the crew.

1 wire method worked for me perfectly. At first I thought it messed up everything becuase my gas meter was on empty and my lights werent working.... then I plugged the connector back in! and everything works fine!

Schultz mentioned you could lose your highbeams, if you performed the one-wire cut method. Have any of you actually lost your highbeams because of this? And if this happens, you can just undo it and tape the cut wire back together, right? I don't want to lose my highbeams.

I have done the one wire method and still have highbeams. A lot of other people have done it and still have them as well.

There's not too much room in there but yes you can reconnect it if it doesn't work to your liking.

sorry for reviving a pretty old post, but it's the newer of the two -- but like someone else asked in another thread, I want to only disable the auto-on but keep my DRL's. It was said that the yellow+green wire only disables auto-on, but other people make it sound like it disables both auto-on and DRL.

edit: bahh I did it anyways, took me forever to get the freakin connector out... AND i lost my DRLs... hope I don't get pulled over

is there a way to remove the auto on and keep the DRL?

After reading many many threads after doing a search, my conclusion is no. I have no idea how vegeta4ss was able to only disable the auto-on.

My car, a 2001 GT now has no auto-on and no DRL's (which I would love to still have), but everything else still works perfectly. I don't have fogs so I don't know if it would affect anything there.

i like the DRL, but i dont like the auto on and sometimes i dont want the the low beams to turn on when there is still light out side i also would like to show off the halos that i have at night.

yeah, that's the same thing for me, minus the halo's. I want complete control over my lights. Most cars give you the control to the lights, why not ours :(

i know im bringing up an old thread again, but i got a problem. i did the one-wire method and now for some reason only my left headlight's drl turned off. it doesnt even light up when i lock/unlock the car. my right headlight's drl is still on and works just like it used to as if i were to have never snipped the wire. anybody got any ideas as to why this is happening or what i should do?

What is the purpose of this mod?

Seems silly to bypass and negate a safty device such as auto on and DRL.

I just don't get it.

What is the purpose of this mod?

Seems silly to bypass and negate a safty device such as auto on and DRL.

I just don't get it.
safety device? i personally think its useless and annoying. some ppl (like me) just like to have full control of theyre headlights like most other cars. nothing hazardous going on right there. its not like ur getting rid of the headlights all together, ur just losing the auto-on feature. everything works just fine as normal, except now u gotta use the knob to turn the DRL's and low beams on. if u get pulled over for not turning on ur headlights at night cuz u "forgot", then u probably deserve a whole lot more than a ticket :eslap:

if you have HIDs the drls make em look funny, also i heard that the auto on feature messes with the hids, but im not to sure on that one
They aren't on at the same time. Why would Toyota make a circuit that conflicts with another? They are pretty well isolated from one another.

safety device? i personally think its useless and annoying. some ppl (like me) just like to have full control of theyre headlights like most other cars. nothing hazardous going on right there. its not like ur getting rid of the headlights all together, ur just losing the auto-on feature. everything works just fine as normal, except now u gotta use the knob to turn the DRL's and low beams on. if u get pulled over for not turning on ur headlights at night cuz u "forgot", then u probably deserve a whole lot more than a ticket :eslap:

This mod eliminates the DRL, you only have low beams and high beams. Not the same as DRL. They don't work as normal. Useless, I don't think so. Statistics say otherwise.

As far as getting pulled over, in some states it is illegal to use your windshield wipers without your headlights on. Now I've driven thru rain where I didn't think it was too dark, but the cops did. I also have been given a warning in my Supra because I was driving with my fog lights on and no headlights. (marker lights were on as well) The police thought they were not "bright enough". Both times, I simply got a warning, and a compliment on my car!

I can appreciate the want to control lights manually, but DRL are a safety feature, like seat belts. But if your happy with not having it, it's your choice! :wiggle:

^oh wait... haha i feel kinda retarted now cuz i got the parking lights and the DRL's confused and i thought the DRLs were the parking light bulbs. i guess i just never really saw my DRL's in action so now everytime i turn on the parking lights, i think that those are the DRL's. of course i never drive with only those on cuz i think thats illegal here (idk about anywhere else), but yea... my bad.

but either way, i could imagine how bad the DRLs (high beam bulb... not parking lights) must have looked if u had HID's like i did :puke: so regardless, i still would have stuck with this mod. i have 6000K HIDs so any light with a stock yellow look to it is a no-no for me. thats why i changed my parking lights to white LED's :thumbup:

i personally have never been pulled over for anything asthetic on my car *knock on wood* and ive only been pulled over once for speeding out of my driveway onto the main street (didnt go past the speed limit, but i just made alot of noise and cop got the wrong idea) and the cop let me off with a warning that time so i dont really count it.

i have 6000K HIDs so any light with a stock yellow look to it is a no-no for me.
I agree 100% I haven't looked into this yet, but cant you just get bulbs that do not produce a yellow tint for the high beams? (I'm not up to speed on my types of lights, colors and temps yet.) But it seems like there are always 100 different choices at the auto store.

You can definately notice the Yellow in the high beams, the good thing is however that your DRL are never on when your low beams are on. So it's only "offensive" on the occations you use the high beams.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.