NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know shops use computerized alignment/camber/toe adjustment that our manual hands could not compare to. But it's just that my steering wheel is off-center on straights. I also plan to put aftermarket 17s" next week. Should I just bring it to a shop to have them aligned, camber/toe adjusted? Or just adjust the steering wheel myself (is this even possible)?

If I bring em to the shop.. Do I tell them what values I want like how many degrees toe how many degrees camber? I don't know what's the ideal values for daily driving (No track setup).

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
umm you will just mess it up more by trying it by hand, if you have ever done and alignment on a laser rack you will understand. think of it as doing brain surgery with an axe.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
can anyone recommend a good place to bring my car for alignment/camber/toe here in New Jersey? is SEARS auto a good one?

Also, Do they know what degree values to use? or they would ask me what i want?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
they use factory spec. and thats what i would use.

i would avoid sears, go to a good tire shop or a big autobody shop.

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
it is possible, but difficult. A LONG time ago (like 2003 or 2004) Import tuner did an article on how to do your own alignment. It was for a miata, but the principle is the same. It had you make precise sized boxes with tape under your wheels and told you how to measure the toe and such. You use a weight on a string to check for it being straight. It looks like a lot of work though.

If you are not lowered then just stick with the stock specs. I have had better luck out of small shops doing my alignments than these huge corporate franchises. Hope this helps you some.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I've seen a portible alignment machine in a magazine within the past year. i'll be damned if i can remember what, but it was featured for someone that would drive to a race and want to change ish, then change and drive back. It used the same type of head that would fit on a car but had air bubbles in tubes and such. it looked like it would get the job done, but nothing professional like putting it on a rack. you'd have to have it on perfectly flat ground too.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i might bring the car tom to a small shop in dover nj. it is a body shop though because i'll have them underwash the car and have it undercoated/rustproofed... at the same time i'll ask them who can they recommend for alignment.... do i have to do camber and toe? or just alignment?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
camber and toe is the alignment, to straighten the steering wheel the change the toe of both wheels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts