NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already posted some of this in the FS classifieds, but figured I would share here. I've been making some CF pieces this summer and selling them on eBay to make up some debt :( , but enjoy it very much and will eventually get to make parts that I will actually keep. I'm planning on making an install guide or adding to an already existing one, and will help guide anyone through the process if they have any questions. Enjoy!

The large engine plastic piece is wetted down with water...it's not actually clearcoated yet so doesn't look so good.

Next on the agenda is the middle engine cover piece (the one with the VVTL-i) and more RMM spark plug covers.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Mishelica said:
Does the c/f fabric work well around complex curves or is it best to stay on fairly simple and flat parts?
Much easier on flat parts obviously. The engine plastics are tough to DIY because to get in the curves you really need a vacuum mold.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
as said above the parts need to be vaccumed formed (drill holes into the piece and suck epoxy through) or else there is higher chance of peeling up becsaue the epoxy/ clearcoa are affected by heat. After a couple months update on the parts conditions. just advice, i have seena a number of diy c/f people out there and that seems to be the result :(

on that note let me know how the rmm holds up and i'll get back with u about picking one up ;)

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Ditto, I want a RMM too (gotta be quiet though since you're not a sponser *sshhhh*)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
pnoy said:
honestly... it's ok. you need to vacuum it, otherwise it just looks alright. coats are not even also.
Yeah anything with curves in just looks "alright" compared to professional CF parts that will cost you hundreds. Without vacuum bagging it is impossible to get even coats, so I just do the best I can and sand them smoothe.

hopefully the epoxy holds up. I took some dried epoxy and put it on the hottest parts of my engine and left them there for a few weeks and nothing happened in 90+ degree days right on the engine block. I took a butane torch to them and super-heated them for a while. It didn't do anything until I put the blue cone of the flame close to the epoxy, and only then it started to melt. I think this epoxy is pretty damn good...but once again...only time will tell for sure.

And yes wrapping curves blows.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
styphon said:
Would you still do CF coverings for the fuel door?
yup. As soon as the person who bought my first fuel door sends me back their old one...I'll be making another.

So I just ordered a vacuum bagging kit. lol. Figured it will save me a lot of time and make the end result better. Hopefully I can figure it out and turn out some higher quality pieces.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
i think ur gonna have to become a sponsor/vendor soon if ur gonna keep advertising :(

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
becoming a sponsor wouldnt be that hard.

I wouldn't mind having all those pieces you posted above. What kind of turn around time can you offer with some of this stuff?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts