NewCelica.org Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered Beer User
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a simple guide to doing a couple things that really help maintain performance from your celica! If you search for MAF cleaning on this forum you'll most likely run into the topic of air intakes, and the bog that can come from them.

There are two easy things you can do to stop this bog from pedal to power:

-Clean your MAF (Mass air flow sensor) and Throttle Body.

I'm doing this as a combined guide because for everyone with a SRI (short ram intake) or CAI (cold air intake), the two parts are literally right next to eachother.

Tools you'll need (may vary for battery terminals/clamps):

-Wrench/Socket that fits your negative terminal on your battery
-Wrench/Sockets that you need to disassemble your CAI/SRI
-Flathead screwdriver to unscrew clamps
-Throttle Body and MAF sensor cleaner:

All of my bolts were 10mm, including my battery terminal.

Step 1: Disconnect your negative battery terminal (IMPORTANT - you want fresh readings for your ECU from your MAF!)

Step 2: Identify your objectives!

Okay, from here, we're going to start on the Mass air flow sensor.

Closer view while on my SRI:

Step 3: Disassemble your Air intake - I am not that mechanically inclined and I was easily able take it apart. If you look at the picture above, to get to the throttle body intake all it takes is to loosen those two silver clamps over the black hose. Once you have it apart....

Unscrew the two screws (mine are already out) holding the MAF into the SRI and pull out (it may be a little stiff, wiggle it a little but be gentle!)

MAF uninstalled:

Step 4: Clean the MAF with your CRC MAF cleaner - follow the directions on the bottle.

To clean the actual MAF sensor wires, look down the sides, into the MAF housing - you may need a flash light to really see the wires.

Spray CRC down both sides and swish the liquid around a little so it hits all the inside. Some people have mentioned using Q-tips to physically clean the wires but unless you're extremely experienced or just ballsy, I wouldn't. I didn't even spray the wires directly, I merely shot to the side and let them get misted.

Note: as you can see, my temperature sensor is actually reflecting some light off of the tip. This is because i've already cleaned it in this picture - it was completely covered in black residue! Make sure to clean the entire MAF, down in the cracks and everything!

When you're done cleaning the MAF screw it back into the SRI and put it aside, it's time to work on the throttle body.

Step 5: You've already exposed the Throttle Body inlet, this is a picture from the side of it.

As you can see, it's dirty as a slut downtown. Grab your bottle of Throttle Body cleaner and clean that sucker up! Also, you can press from the top of the butterfly valve (the big disk in the tube) and actually spray behind it as well.

Cleaned:

Step 6: Put everything back together! Ensure that you connect all your electrical connections and securely screw back all clamps and bolts. Last thing: reconnect your battery negative cable.

Note: Your car will be a little ninny when you try to start it up because it's got all that throttle body cleaner around.

Annnnnnnnd you're done! Hopefully you should idle better and not have any kind of delay between mashing the pedal and accelerating.

I hope that has been an informative guide, this was my first time doing all this stuff too so make sure you read all the replies to this and see if I missed anything (I'll try to edit it if it's anything major!)

-Pandemonium

EDIT: Added pictures of MAF wires. Haha. Kind of important for this guide.

·
6k, 6.1k, 6.LIIFFFTTTT!!!
1,345 Posts
Nice little write up! :thumbup:

+1 for sticky! :chuckles:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Nice write up! Just a couple of things to consider though. 1. You don't have to disconnect the battery to erase the ECU memory. Just pull the EFI fuses in the engine fuse compartment. 2. The bulb on the MAF sensor that you can see is just the temperature sensor. If you want to clean the rest of it, look inside the openings and you'll see two very thin wires. Those are the air sensors.....I only personally use the MAF sensor cleaner, but some people have used q-tips very gently to clean those...

·
Registered Beer User
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hrm, information noted, I may pull my SRI all apart again to make sure I got those clean - sorry for the misinformation. Will be editing soon.

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
what a great write up for cleaning the intake temperature sensor. you totally did NOT clean the MAF. I give you an A for initiative but you FAIL! Edit this post for proper cleaning of the MAF and ill make it a sticky!

·
Registered Beer User
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
lmao hey, it's clean none* the less!

I'm going to break it down tomorrow after work and actually....clean the MAF.

How was the throttle body part? Any other techniques I can use to clean it better?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice write up! Just a couple of things to consider though. 1. You don't have to disconnect the battery to erase the ECU memory. Just pull the EFI fuses in the engine fuse compartment. 2. The bulb on the MAF sensor that you can see is just the temperature sensor. If you want to clean the rest of it, look inside the openings and you'll see two very thin wires. Those are the air sensors.....I only personally use the MAF sensor cleaner, but some people have used q-tips very gently to clean those...
+1 to that. The temperature sensor, while dirty, typically doesn't get false readings that often. Certainly doesn't hurt to clean it though! On the inside of the enclosure where you described the two tiny wires is most certainly the most important part to clean. I believe it is what measures airflow.. I could be wrong. Most mechanics don't bother to look inside for that 2nd sensor.. When mine was real gunked up and making my engine run lean I just sprayed the crap out of it and the cleaner alone made it nice and shiny again. I was amazed at how much power I was missing simply by that sensor being dirty.

·
Registered Beer User
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fixed and test drove. It may be a placebo effect but I swear it pulls harder in the 3-5k range in 4th and 5th. Lift is insane now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.