NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought there was a write up somewhere on here about how to change your oil? I couldn't find it, but I managed to do OK for my first time ever changing oil. I have a couple of questions though...

1. Where under the car should you position the jack to lift the whole front end up at once? Or is there no such place? I looked in the owners manual and there is a crude drawing that I could not interperate that shows the place to position a jack up front. It looks like somewhere near in between the front axels. I couldn't even get the jack that far under the car because there is not enough clearence. I had to jack each front side up, and set up my stands one at a time. Is that right? Even when the car was up, I still could not see the spot that the manual was talking about.

2. The dealer parts department was closed until next week, and Autozone did not cary the oil drain plug gasket. I went to a Jiffy Lube, and they gave me what they use. It was just a metal washer. Is that OK? How is this different than what you can buy from the dealer?

3. How tight are you supposed to tighten the oil filter? I am guessing pretty tight, but only as tight as you can get it by hand.

4. I used a Mobil1 oil filter. It is the one that the guy at Autozone told me was for the 2003 Celica GT-S. However, it is about 3/4" shorter than the one that I took off. WTF? I am not TOO worried since I know the Mobil1 is supposed to flow really well and filter really well, but is there a bigger size Mobil1 oil filter that I should be using, or does it even matter? The model number was M1-103.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I put the floor jack just behind the front center tow hook (look center it under the 3 bolt heads), haven't had a problem yet, and I've had the car up hundreds of times (2 times per autocross weekend, etc).

Oil filter size isn't that critical, Mobil 1 is like everyone else, and has a 1 size fits all deal. you can use about 2/3 of the filters on the shelf, if you really want a bigger one get one for a 5 liter Mustang (trust me, it will fit fine).

Spin the filter on until the gasket seats, then 3/4 of a turn after that. It doesn't need to be any tighter.

Toyota claims to replace the drain plug gasket every change, I have about 6 spares just in case, yet I've never had a re-used one leak even a drop. I did change it out once just because.

Finally, do yourself a favor and get some Rhino ramps, much easier to change the oil under them than it is to jack it up and use jack stands.

Scott

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assuming we compare different sizes of the exact same oil filter... I was thinking that a bigger filter might filter better or at least last longer. Would that be true? Do you think using a filter that is larger than recomended will have any bad effects such as causing oil pressure to drop or not filtering as well?

I saw some Rhino ramps and thought about getting those, but I don't know if my car can make it onto the ones I saw without the front bumper hitting them (they looked like a pretty steep incline). I am only lowered about 1.5 inches in front on H&R springs, but the clearence is very small. I had to push the front bumper upwards just to get the jack under it when I was trying to locate a good spot to use.

·
Registered
868 Posts
One possible advantage of a bigger filter is that you add oil volume to the engine, which can give you slightly better cooling. A larger filter element can also hold more dirt before getting clogged and causing higher flow resistance.

However, it also costs more (you'll need more oil), and I don't think the difference in cooling is really that noticeable. If you are after improved performance, what really matters is the filters resistance (pressure drop) to flowing oil, which isn't strictly based on its size. I would recommend higher quality (recommend K&N) over larger size.

If you do decide to use a larger filter, what matters is that the thread matches up, and the gasket on the filter doesn't extend beyond the sealing surface on the attachment.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I am already using a good quality filter (Mobil1). I was thinking mostly about a larger filter not filling up with junk as soon as a smaller one. Shouldn't a larger filter keep the oil clean for longer? I'd like to run 7000 miles with the same filter and the same Mobil1 synthetic oil, then just change out both at 7000 miles.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Technically if the filter has more media arear then yes, it could filter longer.
I would be more worried about getting the correct bypass pressures on oversized filters.

If you have an oil cooler, many sanwich adapter plates have a larger seat area, so you maybe able to fit a wider filter on as well.

I just got my UOA back from Blackstone and the filtration seems fine at 5200 miles. I am using the OEM GT-S filter and M1 10w-30.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts